Which FORScan do you recommend???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypher0807

Reaction score
I searched this forum looking for the best OBD2 scanner you guys are running to diagnose, and ability to make changes i.e hyper flashing as I seen in one post about turn signals.

Amazon has dozens of "FORScan". Just would like to see what the majority of you are running.

Thanks

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I searched this forum looking for the best OBD2 scanner you guys are running to diagnose, and ability to make changes i.e hyper flashing as I seen in one post about turn signals.

Amazon has dozens of "FORScan". Just would like to see what the majority of you are running.

Thanks
This one is the way to go in my opinion

Screenshot_2018-02-22-18-27-59.png

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you understand, FORScan is not a scanner itself, it's a program developed by some guys in Russia with lots of free time that you run on your computer using one of these adapters.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
I see a lot of posts where people use the OBDlink MX (bluetooth). Then I see some recommending a wired USB connection to avoid a potentially catastrophic communication failure. Others talk about either wiring in a switch or buying a unit with a separate switch for MS-CAN.

Can somebody please help guide me to purchasing the right one for my 2017 Expy EL (which I don't even see on Forscan's list, but I understand it is supported)!

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts where people use the OBDlink MX (bluetooth). Then I see some recommending a wired USB connection to avoid a potentially catastrophic communication failure. Others talk about either wiring in a switch or buying a unit with a separate switch for MS-CAN.

Can somebody please help guide me to purchasing the right one for my 2017 Expy EL (which I don't even see on Forscan's list, but I understand it is supported)!

Here’s the one I bought for $30 off Amazon...works great and I feel more confident with the wired connection.

OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've purchased this from AliExpress but it's not here yet. the FORScan guys say they're counterfeit (they are) and they don't work right but everything I've read say they work fine, and it's about 1/3rd the price of the official ELS27.

I wanted to go with ELS27 because it uses J2534 which means it should be able to talk to all modules on even the 2018 with its fancy new 3rd-gen CAN bus.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I run Macs at home and stuff, so it's going to be an interesting quest of virtualization, but if I can make it work that means it should be cake for most people. :p

Axle Folly

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for sharing. My take-away was that there is not necessarily a single magic bullet. So, I opted for an inexpensive USB unit with a switch for HS/MS modes that a reviewer on the site where I purchased it said they used it on an '18, so I figured it would work on my '17. Tried it today, and about half the programming changes I attempted worked, so I conclude the tool works (I'll be posting on the ForScan tweaks thread for help determining what's going wrong).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1