Which PAG oil do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
which PAG oil does the original AC compressor on an 05 use? And how many ounces does it need?

If you do not know or unsure please do not post a guess, my AC clutch keeps locking up and i want to put oil in it see if it helps, if it doesn't I'll be replacing the compressor and it isn't an easy nor cheap job so I'm gonna do what's easiest and cheapest first and work my way up.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.autopartscentres.com/201...t-lubricant-specification-and-capacity-guide/

If the compressor is locking up the system is probably loaded with small metal shavings by now. There is no proper way to fix that other than replacing the lines and components. Most people opt for a flush but that is a roll of the dice. If any of the shavings dislodge from the hoses or other components they will circulate through the system and trash the compressor eventually. One way to tell how bad things are would be to evacuate the system & pull the expansion valve for an inspection. If it has a metalflake appearance to the internals - you're toast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Stamp it locks up a day after a rainy one. The clutch is rusty and it binds when subjected to water. Otherwise works flawlessly every time else.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can swap the clutch but it is 50/50 if the shaft seal will leak afterwards. Better to get a compressor kit and make a lasting repair.

Last semester the students were taking the a/c course and of course my Jetta's a/c decides to crap out. Long story short they were able to troubleshoot on "live" equipment for a change. Cost from RA was @$250 + shipping for the compressor kit. Not bad considering most shops are close to a grand for the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok I can find a replacement clutch NO problem but what's a compressor kit? Or better off where can I purchase it?

Thank you Stamp

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well I shot 2oz of PAG 46 down the low side and that actually made my AC blow warm and clutch now no longer engages (which is actually good since it's not locking up and burning the belt up)

I just wanna by pass the AC pulley if possible and worry about this next year when it warms up again

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Bought a little can and used a hose I had from another can on it and dumped it into the lowside

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1