Which year is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2012-2014 for 5.4's with upgrades and old problems addressed
2017 for ecoboosts

2009 for budget trucks, SSVs should be <$4k by now... 07-08 had the problem old plugs that could make a driveway tuneup on a budget purchase into a nightmare

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plug issues in 07-08s are blown out of proportion. I changed plugs and boots on my 07’ myself and it wasn’t difficult. Was a pretty easy project actually. I already had SP-515 plugs (first redesign) in the heads though.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plug issues in 07-08s are blown out of proportion. I changed plugs and boots on my 07’ myself and it wasn’t difficult. Was a pretty easy project actually. I already had SP-515 plugs (first redesign) in the heads though.

Maybe...maybe not.

Thing is that a cheap 09 wont cost you much more, if even at all more... and has pretty much no big ticket surprises

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know what kills me about new model vehicles, is aren't the engineers and designers supposed to run these vehicles litterealy into dust, for durability factors. And wouldn't that mean pulling out and installing spark plugs? Why did they run 3 valve motors for 4 years, and then say, oops we've got another sparkplug problem. It's not threads this time, but fellas you're not going to believe what our dealerships are saying! Just once it would be nice to build a motor or transmission, find it's weak link, fix it before it hits production. Gm did just that with the first Automatic transmission for them, the hydramatic. They introduced it in 1939 for the Oldsmobile. Used that model for a testbed, tweaked it, then offered it in 41 for the Cadillac lineup. The transmission proved so strong that they used them in tanks in WW2, and other competition bought them, Lincoln, Hudson, and others. Why can't that kind of logic be applied today? Can anyone explain why you need a two piece sparkplug? When obviously the newer one piece is just fine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know what kills me about new model vehicles, is aren't the engineers and designers supposed to run these vehicles litterealy into dust, for durability factors. And wouldn't that mean pulling out and installing spark plugs? Why did they run 3 valve motors for 4 years, and then say, oops we've got another sparkplug problem. It's not threads this time, but fellas you're not going to believe what our dealerships are saying! Just once it would be nice to build a motor or transmission, find it's weak link, fix it before it hits production. Gm did just that with the first Automatic transmission for them, the hydramatic. They introduced it in 1939 for the Oldsmobile. Used that model for a testbed, tweaked it, then offered it in 41 for the Cadillac lineup. The transmission proved so strong that they used them in tanks in WW2, and other competition bought them, Lincoln, Hudson, and others. Why can't that kind of logic be applied today? Can anyone explain why you need a two piece sparkplug? When obviously the newer one piece is just fine.

Cost-cutting... that's why the crappy plugs were tried

As to testing....who the heck knows. "Simulating" 100k mi shouldn't be hard nor at all time-consuming, hook the darn thing up to a genny, run with RPM and load simulating 100mph, and change oil every 2-3 days

All it takes is 1.5 months and you got your 100k mi motor test

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It does seem the more complicated we make things, the more issues develop. I read somewhere that 4runners are selling like crazy because of the lack of tech and still being a body on frame mid sized suv. This generation is 10 years into production. There are rumors of a revised one coming out soon.

On the other hand the friend that had 4x4 issues with his 2016 F-50 that the dealership could only fix for a few months at a time, traded it in on a Land Rover Discovery Sport. It is already getting false readings from the front parking sensors when it snows and at less than 4,000 miles already has a check engine light on. He's like he should have went back to a 4runner. He traded one in on the F150 with 130,000 miles and zero issues.

When the 4runner is updated, it'll have all the new tech and there really won't be a new vehicle out there that's "simple". You know devoid of all the driver's assist and take over tech in the SUV or truck market.

MY XLT is very basic except for the twin turbo engine and drive train modes.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We won the battle against them in 1945, but they are winning the war. It's not stereo typing that almost all the Asians here in San Francisco drive Toyota's or Lexus. They know value, and they know what lasts. Kinda ironic that San Francisco Toyota is smack in the Richmond district of San Francisco, one of the heaviest populated Chinese/Japanese areas. Someday maybe the big three can catch up, and build a vehicle that's Tech, and doesn't break.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s the thing with Toyota. You can go buy a brand new Tundra today and it’ll feel like a 10 year old truck- not meaning that it’s falling apart, but because the tech is 10 years behind. It’s a boring truck. I know someone with an older one and he’s looking to replace it (has 275k miles on it) and he said they new ones are basically exactly the same as his current one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrsharp06