whining in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutnall

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have a question

my 2003 has a whining noise in the rear and the dealer seems to think it needs new barrings they want to charge my $100's that I don't really have, if it is true and they are not bs-ing me how much should I have to pay for this type of service?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what kind of whine? when you let off the gas it happens or when you are on the gas it happens?

OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
the dealer is saying I need to replace the barrings on both sides or this will cause more problems, they want $500 dollars I don't know I just don't trust them

OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
it was my late husbands job to maintain all vehicles in the family and now I just feel like the dealer is taking advantage of me being a single female, any help will be aprreciated

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Take it to a few other shops and get estimates. If they say the same thing its a good bet that is your issue and you will have several prices to compare. Dealer generally cost more.

It could be wheel bearings or in the differential.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its a bearing issue. but i would take it to other shops and get different prices. and like tom said. dealers are usually more expensive.

OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
thank you for the responces my brother in law said to take it to other shops too but I wasn't sure what to do on top of that the quote was for only the drivers side bearing, if they do both sides it will be $900 or more, its a mess.

but yes I will try another local shop tomorrow after work, I'm ready to just sell this tank but it was my late husband's baby and I feel like my only link left to him :) crazy I know

thank you again!

timberwoof

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a whining in the rear of mine too. But I think mine is coming from the two boys I cart around all the time.