Whiskey Tango Foxtrot "Features" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was backing up trying to keep very close to drivers side without going off the edge of a driveway, opened the drivers door and BOOM trans slams into park! Glad I wasn't going faster than like .5 mph... [emoji23]

I'm good with the cameras and mirrors and stuff like that, but, I know I'm going to do that one again...

Why in the blue hell would that even be a thing?

I tried it again (stopped) and if you're in drive or reverse and open the drivers door it goes right to park...even if you're moving apparently!

I wonder if it's to prevent the urge of driving with the cruise on and standing out on the running board for some fresh air? [emoji38]

I've been in jeeps and trucks and cars where it makes sense to open the door while underway (zipper window tuck on a jeep, jacket shut in door, chew spit, puking, etc.)

Who wants to test out what happens when you're going like 25 and you open the driver's door? Bonus points for a video...
[emoji1783]
I'm guessing the trans will head for P!

In all seriousness, anyone know the logic here? I'm flummoxed.

I also thought it'd be good to have a thread going as we find "features" like this...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

m3bs

Reaction score
Just another safety feature you can thank the lawyers for. My ‘16 VW does the same thing.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Latch your seatbelt and you can drive with the door open.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. This was one of the "features" I inquired about when I joined the forum - as I was reading information from users and their surprise reactions with the rotary shift dial. My 2006 Dodge CTD sounds the horn if you're in reverse with the door open, and seatbelt off. While annoying, that certainly dosen't open up the possibility of trashing the transmission. Seriously a stupid design.

I routinely back a drift boat down ramps and sometimes open the door to look at something. I haven't tested to see if, with my seat belt on, I can open the door while in motion without it switching to park.

Does anyone know if FORScan can change this?

Johhn14

Reaction score
It’s a safety thing. The goal is to prevent people from leaving the car when it’s not actually in park, but they think it is.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee does the same thing. It was actually a recall / software change that enabled it in that case.

OP
OP
byathread

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a safety thing.

It's a ******** thing the more I think about it...

If you are in park, and open the door, you CAN shift and take off with the door open.

It is quite the PITA procedure to bypass this "feature".

I still want to know what happens in the zombie apocalypse when you want to drive the expy into something explosive and bail out the door before it hits...

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a ******** thing the more I think about it...

It is quite the PITA procedure to bypass this "feature".

I still want to know what happens in the zombie apocalypse when you want to drive the expy into something explosive and bail out the door before it hits...

I admit it may be a stretch, but I THINK (and I have no way to verify this, just a theory) that the reason for this feature is because of what happened to Anton Yelchin when he was crushed my his car, after thinking it was put in park. If I remember correctly, his Jeep had a rotary shifter as well. So it may be Ford trying to be proactive and prevent a similar tragedy?