Who has a Magnaflow catback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And do you like it? I just put it on mine and honestly thought it would be a little louder. The tone is good, just, had hoped for a bit more volume. LOL, I suppose it might get a little louder with some use though. Also have all the cats, the exhaust is otherwise stock. I drove it about 15 minutes earlier without th muffler and tail pipe and thought it sounded good, though on the decel it had a little bit of cackle...hate that.

Honestly for 800-plus bucks I'd hoped it would be louder. Maybe it will open up a bit in time...we'll see.

Next up is a K&N CAI, and yesterday I drove down and got a set of used wheels wrapped in 295/70/18 rubber that still has a fair bit of life left. No way'n hell they're gonna fit, so I suppose when UPS drops off my 3/2 spacers, I'll be ready to rock. Also ordered some 4600 struts, I followed another member's "recipe" and really like the way his Expo looks, so thanks to you sir :)

I've been looking for an aftermarket sub box....I want something that doesn't take up any cargo space, mine doesn't have the factory sub. Possible to mount something in that area? I may have to find the sub box that goes there and the corresponding trim...not an issue if that's my only option.

The standard rear wiper is ordered too, otherwise, not much else needs done to the exterior. Some front door window tint is in the works though.

Lots of good info and ideas here. Love this rig. Have had 4 Explorers, some trucks, a shit-ton of Mustangs and Thunderbirds. Now, when I get in my '06 Exploder, I feel like I'm in a compact car LOL.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had one on my 2000. Wasn’t loud either, but that’s what I was hoping for. Might get one for my 2014, but not a priority.

98nhexpy

Reaction score
I installed a Magnaflow Catback on my 2010 Limited Expy two years ago.
Installation was very straight forward and a good DIY project. Solid construction/materials.
For me, the result was exactly what I was looking for. A deeper, mellow tone at idle and a throaty sound on rev-up. I was not going for "loud", but it is louder than stock.
This system does not disappoint.
I've put about 20k miles since install. Rechecked all clamps, hangars, connections after 500miles. There was a slight change in sound after a a thousand miles or so.
I have gotten several complimentary comments from co-workers about the deep tone.
I wasn't looking for loudness, but "presence". When I "throttle up" on a highway entrance ramp, my young son calls it "NASCAR race truck time"...always brings a laugh to my belly....oh, to be a kid again.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like it just needs a little time to "break in", as it were. Sweet...thanks.

I put about 120 miles on mine tonight and it seems a little deeper in tone and more throaty...as you say, kinda what I want...something with a little growl, rather the scream of just gutted cats and a glasspack or something hacked off in the backyard. Thanks for the reply. :)

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was one installed on my 2010 when I got it 5 years ago. Sounds great around town. Not too loud, but nice tone. I hate it on a trip though. 2000 RPM is the loudest, so 75 - 80 MPH. It is a little too much for droning noise especially in the back. Wouldn't do it again on a vehicle I use for trips.

union pipewelder

Reaction score
B46745E8-2462-45AC-A0CE-35224873CC6A.jpeg 629F4CCC-8FE8-45DC-BF20-C064F728B870.jpeg 13B8C910-9170-4A3F-8840-8790F2595DEF.jpeg I recently installed a magnaflow driver and passenger cats, and I went with CGS Motorsport exhaust, it’s sound great, especially on the throttle and when u do a cold start, at highway speed, not hardly any terrible drone noise until u press the gas pedal, I love it,

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have it on my 03 5.4. I installed the Catalytic Converter system with the straight through muffler. It doesn't get any louder with age if you ask me. It's been about 3 years or so. I'm not fond of straight through mufflers now. I installed a custom flowmaster exhaust on my 2010 and it has a way more aggressive tone. Not for everyone but definitely for me.

98nhexpy

Reaction score
For my 2010 EXPY Limited, I installed the Cat-Back #16379 system. Your model year may offer different options, but according to the website, that is the only offering today for my 2010.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 16379 is the one I got. The 1st gens have a lot more going for them, in terms of exhaust stuff, it seems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65