Who has the most miles on the odometer of their expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what oil were you running?
I have seen a number of seizure issues on modular engines from owners using the wrong oil (too heavy).
The oil passages to the top end are pretty small and do not allow for proper lubrication when too high of viscosity is used. Can't say I have seen an issue when the factory recommended oil is used.

Just had the oil changed at the dealership so I'm assuming they used whatever the recommended oil is. Turns out the fuel injector failed and allowed gas into the oil which caused the oil to thin and seize the motor. I gave the car to my dad and he's going to buy a new engine for it. $7k installed with a 3 year warranty unlimited mileage.

Reaction score
^^^ Were there any warning signs that you noticed? I ask because I've been getting a sustained "rattling" or "fluttering" type sound when I start mine up almost every single time now (lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then idles back to normal). When I took it in to get it looked at (by an independent shop) they said that they think that there's an internal failing somewhere in the engine, and there's nothing that can be done ... ??? Um yeah. So, I am going to get a second opinion of course, but obviously a little concerning. It's a 2006 with 165k. Sorry to hear about your ride, by the way. Just wondering if by chance you might have had something like this before she went belly up.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^ Were there any warning signs that you noticed? I ask because I've been getting a sustained "rattling" or "fluttering" type sound when I start mine up almost every single time now (lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then idles back to normal). When I took it in to get it looked at (by an independent shop) they said that they think that there's an internal failing somewhere in the engine, and there's nothing that can be done ... ??? Um yeah. So, I am going to get a second opinion of course, but obviously a little concerning. It's a 2006 with 165k. Sorry to hear about your ride, by the way. Just wondering if by chance you might have had something like this before she went belly up.

I did notice something similar to a fluttering sound for a few seconds when I started it. It had never made that sound before though so I didn't really think too much about it. Owning a high mileage vehicle is always risky to drive. I've had Mercedes, BMW's, and this Ford and after 100k miles they all start to need constant maintenance.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine only has a mere 118k on it but so far so good- it lacks the dreaded phaser noise so I have no doubt she can go another 100k easily.

GaWag

Reaction score
275k on my 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.4. Just replaced the fuel filter (was so clogged it the a lean code on both banks) replaced the intake (coolant crossover was cracked) replaced the timing chain, guides and tensioners( guides were broke and chain was slapping) and finally replaced the lifters. Forgot what they're called. Runs very well currently.

NH2004EBexpyguy

Reaction score
My 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition is closing in on 300k. Right now I am at 290k and should be at 300k sometime in feburary. Been a great truck with only minor repairs listed below:

right rear wheel bearing
left rear wheel bearing
u-joint on axel
brake pads all around
brake rotors all around
1 coil pack
a few headlight bulbs/fog light bulbs
filled rockers with foam and repainted
replaced muffler with glaspack (increased mileage by 4mpg)
lots of tires (get about 70k out of each tire)
alternator
battery
cabin air filters
engine air filters
1 set of spark plugs (replaced with new coil pack)