Why are 1st generation 5.4 Expeditions so reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
i have 184,*** and to date I’ve only done wear items except for replacing a cracked intake which I learned is made of plastic for my year.

This truck has been very reliable in fact driving from Chicago to central Florida next week without hesitation. I tow my boat (3000lbs total wt) like it’s not there and have cruised at 70-75mph in long flat stretches of open hwy with it in tow.

My theory and I’d like your opinions on this is that first this truck doesn’t have much in the way of modern technology. I’ve garage kept it’s whole life except for one bad winter when I kept my old bimmer in the garage cause I couldn’t find storage that year.

I think that garage keeping vs harsh elements here plus my OCD on maintenance has served me and this truck well.

Reading the F-150 forums and the newer generation expy posts here it is discouraging to see the myriad of systems failures mainly due to new technologies and electronics, sprinkled in with several common defects for each power plant and generation.

Could it be these 1st gens are the most reliable Ford trucks generally?

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
202 on mine.
Need to replace #1 COP.
Been solid for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HA! I tell my friends it cost me $500 each time I drive it. I rode in 3 tow trucks this year and spent over $2000 in the past 3 months.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got around 210K on my 2nd gen with no issues... except for a couple AC fixes (expansion valve and evaporator).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You hit on the head with simplicity. These are fairly complex motors compared to the simple pushrod motor it replaced. And yes the later 05 on up variable timing motors added weak gaskets, weak oil pumps, and all kinds of garbage that was replaced, just to squeak out 40 more hp . A few tweaks on the 03 motor could Ihave got them there. Easiest would have break out the boring bar. A bump to 360 ci and a few tweaks would get you there. A fuel pump driver module on 05/06 that were mounted outboard near a spare tire. Really, you can't see a problem with exposed connections getting plummeted with water and snow not causing issues? Except for a group of boneheads under developing the spark plug threads, and another idiot thinking that soldered fuel pump relays on 03 should last longer than the old pop in ones, the first gens, and early second gens would be like their 5.8/351 replacement bullet proof. But alas, they never listen to the ghost of Hank Ford, the original model T is fine the way it is. If the wackos in Washington would stop trying to get a 6,000 pound SUV to approach the mileage of a Prius, these failures wouldn't happen. Wouldn't have guys/girls here with 2018 3.5 turbos melting down with less than 50k on them. On top of that they have to have oil Labs like Blackstone do blood tests just so their warranty vehicle gets fixed. Well theirs my rant for Friday, I wish all here a Merry Christmas, and be safe travelling this week coming up.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
I also thumb my nose at a lot of the modern tech and features adding to less reliability. But, my 2003 XLT (which always lived outside and is none the worse for that) has its own inherent "could fail at any point" concerns. Wheels hubs, battery, hoses, alternator, water pump, brake and fuel lines, electrical connections, a/c, blowers, window regulators, snake belt idlers, suspension components, cats, cops, etc etc. Get in front of that with regular maintenance and inspections but can't predict and avoid many things.

That's why I only drive that beast local to home and use a newer Expy for my long trips. Just tipping the scale of problem avoidance in my favor.

guspech750

Reaction score
My 2002 F250 with its 5.4 has been ridiculously reliable. 215,000 miles and it’s not broke down once.

I truly believe in the simplicity of the 5.4 and no technology in my pick up at all. Even with buying my 2017 Expedition. I still drive my F250 all around and up to Wisconsin. I still love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My 2000 was an excellent truck. Never left me stranded. More simple vehicle with fewer things to go wrong. The 2008 has been great so far also.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember back in 1976, I bought my first "real" home stereo. I bought one of the best sounding receivers of the day, a Pacific Stereo house brand. But the thing I remember telling my salesman Allan, who was so knowledgeable, and cool to deal with, I said I want a simple record turntable that sounded great, and only had return. Didn't want the needle dragging at the end of an album. Cueing it myself was no biggie. That turn table lasted 35 years. I sold it in 2010, all it ever needed was a new belt. Simplicity is usually a long laster. I've always believed that. If I had my way, I'd probably build a Expedition with a 1970's Bored out 351, with all the techie things to make it all gel, and run cleaner/quieter. A motor, that didn't have to worry about silly things like cam phasers, cam guides that discentregate, etc. Wonder when Ford or Toyota, is going to invent a motor that doesn't need a timing chain/belt, and all the ancillary pieces to make it work. When you think about it, our SUVs are a more complex version of the original single piston version of old Henry's original way back in 1903. Makes you wonder what's next? I'm always amazed how they get 400 hp, and lower emissions than just 10 years before. Their will come a day when we'll be like Japan, make you get rid of your vehicle at 50k, or at least put in an engine. Can you imagine putting in a motor here every 4 years? Could happen sooner than you think.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986