Wife says “...you should buy a new truck...”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Man unless you custom order one with a 5.0, you will get a 3.5 V6. All honesty I'd just keep the one you got. I got 01' EB edition and I'm slowly but surely putting the money into it to make it a awesome rig plus too I don't trust a lot of these new vehicles. Especially GM vehicles. They all, except the high end sports cars like the vettes, SS & ZR1 Camaros, feel like cheap overpriced junk. I think Fords took the time to actually find quality parts but gotta work out the hiccups in them. And Dogde/Ram... I'm sorry but since Fiat bought them out I'm not much fan of them. And the whole EPA standards is BS to me. Yes it's nice to get good gas mileage, but some of use do like to wheel in our Expeditions and that in my opinion is smiles per gallon not miles per gallon lol

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...reverse psychology in action

She finally figured out how to make DAMN sure you don't buy any expensive new trucks anytime soon

Davew72

Reaction score
Fords don’t offer a V8 anymore and the 5.0 has history of oblong cylinder issues so I don’t trust em.

My next will be a crew cab pickup 4x4 V8 but at a loss on what’s reliable w longevity as I don’t want to buy again once I’m retired.

Probably go w whoever offers some kind of lifetime warranty.

What’s out there?
If you are looking for a large crew cab 4wd with a V8 and you want long term reliability, grab a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8, Ive got one now and its a great truck and 3 years and almost 50,000 miles it has not had a single issue, well I did replace a turn signal bulb a couple weeks back but thats it Lol.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man unless you custom order one with a 5.0, you will get a 3.5 V6.

This doesn't sound right at all. When I was truck shopping not long ago I found the V8 F150 selection pretty good.

I see you are in OKC so I looked at your local dealers:

Bob Moore Ford has 120 new F150s. 33 are 5.0 V8, 27%.
Reynolds OKC & Norman has 196 new F150s. 40 are 5.0 V8, 20%.
Metro Ford of OKC has 96 new F150s. 50 are 5.0 V8, 52%.
Joe Cooper/Edmund has 237 new F150s. 74 are 5.0 V8, 31%.
David Stanley has 55 new F150s. 7 are 5.0 V8, 13%.
Diffee has 47. 4 are 5.0 v8, 9%.

The 5.0L is a $600 cheaper upsell than the 3.5L, so a dealer would be shooting himself in the foot for not stocking a selection of them.

In fact the only thing that surprised me was the number of 2.7Ls out there.

To OP, your words, you've got a pristine Expedition. I regularly see 1st gens with over 300K. Taking on additional debt is a bizarre step in the path to retirement, so I say keep what you have and continue doing whatever it is you have been doing (special oil included).[/QUOTE]

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2018+ 5.0 is a rocket ship. They added direct injection and the 10R80 bringing it to 400 horsepower and 400 lb ft of torque. I’d really recommend driving one to anyone looking at the F-150, great sound and great fuel economy. Many get 22+ MPG out of it.

I looked at other vehicles but ultimately ended up here again with another 3rd gen Expedition. The no payment thing is nice in college so early 3rd gens (07-09) were my primary targets and in budget. The Expeditions depreciate fast and are a fair market value when buying used all things considered. When I looked I wanted something with 4x4 that I could camp out in, can tow my boat easily, haul my tools around. The Expedition hits all the marks and for a good value. The 5.4 3V Triton engine has been good overall on the last two expys. It definitely was a learning curve to learn to work on my own stuff with the 5.4 3V and it’s weird plugs and such but I’ve grown to appreciate it. Has lots of torque to get the jobs done and sounds good, take care of them and they seem solid. The 3 rows is a huge benefit of these rigs. While it eats more gasoline than a mid size or pickup it has more comfort/ capability because of that. Worth it in my book.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
If you are looking for a large crew cab 4wd with a V8 and you want long term reliability, grab a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8, Ive got one now and its a great truck and 3 years and almost 50,000 miles it has not had a single issue, well I did replace a turn signal bulb a couple weeks back but thats it Lol.

I really don’t want to buy unAmerican but I know how good Toyota is. No frills but reliable V8 power.

My brother has the 5.0 in his 2016 F150 limited. It sounds like a diesel. I park my Expy next to his and we idle you can’t hear my truck, all you here is his.

I may just lease a Hyundai as a daily driver and use my rig sparingly.

I do know I don’t want to have payments when I retire.

No friggin idea what I’m doing lol.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. Read it. Great thread on my point except most fans of v6 ecos are pointing to how fast they are not anything about reliability and longevity. Most folks lease or flip their vehicles. I’m looking for a long term truck...
These eco engines won’t last and when a turbo blows or the complex valve train goes its curtains.

So much of vehicle purchasing is personal preference and only an idiot would argue about why you should or should not "like" something. So I am not going to try to convince you one way or another.

But I will say that I have owned three vehicles with the 3.5 EB,
an F150 that I traded in at 190k miles,
a Lincoln MKS with right about 100k (still own) and now
an '18 Expy.

other than routine maintainence and a periodic misfire in cylinder 6 on the F150 I had no problems with any. None, zip. smooth as silk.
From my experience, most of those who knock the EB do so out of ignorance or fear.

There really is no powerplant available today that is the simple engines we remember from our youth. they all have electronics and computers and they all have a chance of failing.

I had a Navigator with the 5.4 … died at 150k
had a suburban with the 5.3 … died at 160k

Contrary to popular belief, V8 isn't latin for long lasting....

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
I agree with you, I have a 99 in pristine condition in and out 115,000. That truck has character, rides beautiful. I wouldn't give that up for a new one! I'm pretty upset with Ford for taking the choice of a V8 out of the equation. Good luck to you

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
2015 and up Cadillac Escalade, is very sharp. In my opinion, its the best looking of the newer, full size SUVs. 450hp V8 power, to boot. Awesome wheels and interior. The 5.0l Ford truck motor is not 'bad' as some above claim. Ford didn't run the higher compression, like the Mustang. That made it a little less powerful. Its better for towing and doesn't require premium fuel. The 1st Gen sold the best, because they were more truck than SUV. I remember being so disappointed, when I first saw a photo, of the latest redesign and it came with a V6.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1st Gen sold the best, because they were more truck than SUV. I remember being so disappointed, when I first saw a photo, of the latest redesign and it came with a V6.

First gens sold better because the XLTs were stickered starting at.... $27k.

Yup.

Inflation and all, we know, but 2x the price of a barebones import subcompact (Corollas were like $14k back then) is a lot easier to sell than 4x - 8x the price of a subcompact (smallest and crappiest stuff now starts at like $11 -13k, right?)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK