Wife says “...you should buy a new truck...”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
WTF! My Expy is pristine and I have maintained it w open check book. I buy a specialized engine oil I can only find online and have all the fluids dropped every 50k.
No rust, paint shines ( got Teflon treatment) nothing sticks to it.

I do have 195,*** and will be retiring in the next 5-7 years which is why she says I should finance a new truck now. Makes sense to me!

One problem...I’m not in love w anything new.
I want V8 in my truck w tow package and leather but that’s it except for a long ass extended warranty.

Not sure I trust Ford w all the issues across all their power plants.

What would you buy? $30k-$35k budget.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had this conversation too many times with myself. My wife hasn’t really told me to get anything new (yet).

Like you, I can’t think of anything that makes me want to part ways with my money.

A brand new 1st gen that gets better gas mileage would be perfect.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you looking for?

8 seater 3 row SUV? Or a big 4x4 that can tow and offroad? Plush luxury or capability or both?

There's some seriously nice pickups with cavernous interiors that seat up to 6, there's Expedition EL/Navigator L for more space... lots of stuff out there

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Fords don’t offer a V8 anymore and the 5.0 has history of oblong cylinder issues so I don’t trust em.

My next will be a crew cab pickup 4x4 V8 but at a loss on what’s reliable w longevity as I don’t want to buy again once I’m retired.

Probably go w whoever offers some kind of lifetime warranty.

What’s out there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Yup. Read it. Great thread on my point except most fans of v6 ecos are pointing to how fast they are not anything about reliability and longevity. Most folks lease or flip their vehicles. I’m looking for a long term truck.

In 1992 I purchased my first BMW. Donated it couple years ago. I had 295,*** on her. My current Ford is a 2000 w 195,000. Both vehicles are maintained w open check book.

These eco engines won’t last and when a turbo blows or the complex valve train goes its curtains. I’m not going to argue the virtues of gas mileage on those. I’ve driven both the Expedition w 3.5 and F150 w 5.0. Drove both from Illinois to Fla.

The 5.0 sounded like a diesel when starting cold. The 3.5 gave me great mileage but search on YouTube you’ll see an interview at the Ford service dept where they walk around asking all the techs which engine they prefer, 3.5 or 5.0. All selected the 5.0 Easiest to work on, less complex and more reliable especially over long term.

I also drove a Chevy 1500 Silverado w 5.3. It was a dog but rode nice.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Been there done that. I need a tow rig for my boat. I’m moving to Fla and that vette will be underwater w all the rains and storms. Friend of mine down there has one , but she also has a lifted Silverado.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.0 is a fine motor. Oblong cylinders were only early build 2011 engines and it just made noise. None of said engine grenaded due to the oblong issue. The problem was fixed in 2012.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire