wiil in dash tv work with factory dvd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

i want to put in a dvd player/radio and connect to my my exsisting dvd in back of my truck. i have a 2004 eddie bauer.
is this possible ? what will i need?

OP
OP
G

If your new indash has a monitor; then;

Your new "indash" should have two or three "av" inputs.(video/audio), find the output from the factory dvd and use y adaptors to y the audio/left/right and send it to the inputs of your new head unit.

If your only talking about a new "indash" that plays dvd's and doesnt have a monitor, make sure your new unit has a aux input to which you would connect just the audio from the rear dvd unit to so that your head unit controls the volume, if you head plays dvd's it will have output just like the rear and you can send its output the the same monitor that the rear is going to. In a nutshell, unless you are splitting the vidio signal more than 3 times, you can use y adaptors, when you need to split it more, you need to pick up a amplified splitter from a audio dealer.

OP
OP
G

but the real question is the factory dvd in my new ford have rca connecters? im worried that it might be a circuit board?

thanks for replying

OP
OP
G

I am no expert by far. But by searching on FTE forums, it is apparent that the power to the DVD is fed from the radio. So, when replacing, find the two, yes two power wires and rewire them. There are no rca connectors, but one guy said they were low level and could have rca put on them.

Best bet is to contact someone like Crutchfield and ask them. Pick a headunit and call them about that headunit and ask them about any adapters that are needed. There are two styles of DVD also, one has 12 pins and the other 20.

BTW, you'll lose the ability for sound through the expy speakers also.

OP
OP
G

crutchfield has no clue, thanks though. i m hoping that the headphones will still work with the dvd in back for my kids and i can listen to my music in speakers.

OP
OP
G

Yes, headphones will work if you hook up both power wires. One is for DVD and other for screen. You'll have to turn it on and off from the back.

If you can tell me which pin configuration you have, I'll can dig in the service manual and see if I can help anymore. I know these DVD players have been successfully put in other vehicles, so its just a matter of figuring out wiring.

Bottom line, DVD will work but probally not with new head unit.