Window stuck down front passenger 2007 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Williams

Reaction score
I was driving and heard what I thought was something hitting the glass. I saw no damage and went into the store. My wife was in the car and when I got back she stated she pulled the window down to smoke, but the window would not go back up. I can hear the motor but nothing happens. I'm thinking it is the window regulator. I confirmed this with Safe Lite Auto Window and the service dealer in Danville Va. Not ever repairing one of these before, I view some videos on how to replace the window regulator, which were good. But all of them started with the window already up. None of them show how to get the window up when it is down. I need some help.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you grip the glass and push it up with your hands? Take the door panel off and examine the window motor and regulator to see what has actually failed. Just to make sure it's not the motor's gear, and it is in fact the regulator that's failed. If you remove the motor from the regulator you should be able to move the window up by hand. You have to get it to a position to access the 2 window clamp bolts anyway.

Motorcraft WLR-187 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFLGHC...10&ie=UTF8&vehicleId=7&vehicleType=automotive

WLR187-FRO__ra_p.jpg

423080-lef__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
Will Williams

Will Williams

Reaction score
I have not taken the door off yet. I order a regulator about an hour ago. But I can't pick it up until later tonight. The motor is making some sounds when I press the button, but no window movement. Where do I find the window clamp bolts?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the exact same failure last weekend on the driver's side front door on my expedition.

What I did was just pull the door panel and unhook associated wiring, and then I cut the cables that were jammed. I then reached down and lifted the window by hand, and held it in place while my wife taped it up on the outside with packaging tape.

I watched fordtechmakuloco's video on it. Very helpful.

Good luck!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not taken the door off yet. I order a regulator about an hour ago. But I can't pick it up until later tonight. The motor is making some sounds when I press the button, but no window movement. Where do I find the window clamp bolts?

On each regulator window clamp attaching point. Where the glass rests in the regulator tracks.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After you get the glass to the top put 2 or 3 strips of packing tape up over the top of the door but make sure they are holding well. Instructions for the regulator install are in You tube, I found three of them. Less than a one day job even if you never did it before. I paid $45 for mine and it works great.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same issue, it was the thin Bowden cable that is inside the regulator had rusted and broken. As stated, I removed the interior panel of the door and was then able to loosen the two clamps that attach the bottom of the glass to the regulator and lift the glass out, then removed the regulator, I made up a new cable and it worked perfectly but you can also buy a new regulator mechanism..

OP
OP
Will Williams

Will Williams

Reaction score
Picked up the regulator this morning. I could not fix the old regulator....it was cracked in two places. Anyway, to get the window up, I used two long screw drivers at the bottom of the door and lift the window high enough so I could grab it. My old Chiton book was very little help. Anyway mission accomplished. It did not take too long....if I had knew what I was doing, I think I could have done it less than 90 min. Biggest issue was the gnats flying around my head, that almost made me lose the door handle spring. Thanks everyone. By the way Safe Lite estimate was $289.00 not including the part. And the Ford dealer was almost $700 with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01