Window Tinting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anybody got their 2003 expeditions windows tinted darker then stock? I'm thinking about getting the fronts tinted and maybe the back windows a little darker. If anybody has pics or info about getting their expedition tinted... let me know.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the stock tint a film or is in actually in the glass? I tried to look and could not tell, but would lean towards the latter. I would probably not mess with putting any over the stock tint for a couple of reasons. It looks like it is 5% tint and if you get any darker, you might have problems seeing at night. Also, if you put tint over it, and it is film, you would have to remove the two layers when replacing it or if any problems arise (bubbles,fading, etc). Has anyone found a tint that matches the factory tint? I have only ever had LLUMAR platinum plus and they don't have a color that matches it. Lastly, make sure you are tinting with in the legal parameters of your state.
One last question, how much are you guys being quoted for the tint on just the front two windows?

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock tint is in the glass.... and it's 20%. You wouldn't be able to see through it if it was 5%. I decided that i'm getting the front windows 20% and putting 5% on the back. I basically want it so you can't see in through the back windows at all. I'll post pics after it's done.. i'll probably do it after I move which is in 3 weeks.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did 20% also in the front to compliment the back. Took approximately 20 mins with an appt. Had LA Tint fix me up. Word of warning though. Check with your local laws. Some States have laws against dark tints and the locals will pull you over if it too dark. The Installers know the law and they will advise you that they will not warranty it if you go against their recommendations.
Last but not least I can't stress more to use a reputable place for tint. The crap they sell at Autzone, PepBoys, etc. is junk and will not last as long as a good quality tint. The installers warranty they offer is a good bet. They usually will replace it free of charge in case the window breaks, fades, or it gets scratched. Check with them first.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up getting 5% all the way around. Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 649

djeuch

Reaction score
I did the legal limit here in KY for the front - 35%. Left the rear stock. I should have put on 20%, but didn't want to run the chances of getting a ticket. It does help the heat, though:

DSCF1535.JPG

G

Smoothride...Cali law thats illegal correct? I too am thinking of getting 5% all around but LAPD are such hard @$$'s about giving tickets around here. Does 5% round the back and 15% driver/passenger door look good?

Lo

:cheers:

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you're suppose to have anything darker then 50% on the front windows in cali. I would go with the same tint all the way around because it looks better to have it matching, also I would do it 5% because once you get it, you always wish you went darker so might as well do it the darkest the first time around. Just to let you know, it cost me $300 to do all the windows and that included a lifetime warranty against fading and bubbling.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Living in Oregon you get the natural window tint effect. its allways gray :)

G

BikeRider

I just had my 2 fronts tinted Saturday. It cost 60 bucks total.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65