Windshield is a rock magnet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased my 2018 Expedition in March 2018, I have 10590 miles and three rock chips. It's like the windshield is magnetically attracting the rocks. My 2007 Expedition has 156000 miles at trade in and no chips. Luck of the Irish I guess.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Light tint and advertised superior sound insulation, also tendency to pick up a bunch of tiny "sandblasts" right?

Nothing to do with luck, see dealer or aftermarket installer about getting a "basic windshield" for the replacement. This squishiness is a typical trait of the "premium glass" option.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased my 2018 Expedition in March 2018, I have 10590 miles and three rock chips. It's like the windshield is magnetically attracting the rocks. My 2007 Expedition has 156000 miles at trade in and no chips. Luck of the Irish I guess.
Well in the rock’s defense, the windshield is the second most vertical surface on your SUV, second to the front bumper.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Three of my vehicles need windshields right now. My Benz cracked on the way home Friday night. Nobody was around me and it was a back road.... My 07 and 17 Expys both are cracked. This is going to be expensive.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford Flex has that sound screen insulated premium glass in it and it only has 40,000 miles on it, and I just put the 4th windshield in it! This premium glass is not very durable to small hits. Its amazing......

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replaced my windshield 3 weeks ago, picked up a big chip on Sunday :(
Guess I'll be on my 3rd windshield in 9 months.

Care to elaborate about the premium windshield being more susceptible?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replaced my windshield 3 weeks ago, picked up a big chip on Sunday :(
Guess I'll be on my 3rd windshield in 9 months.

Care to elaborate about the premium windshield being more susceptible?

"Soundscreen" branded Ford windshields, and other kinds of "premium" glass like stock BMW glass seem far more fragile.

If you see some pretty decent glare reduction but a bunch of little abrasion specks, that's what you got.

Plainer aftermarket Fuyao glass (Made in USA...by a Chinese company) seems to hold up better.

Had at least 35k mi (unknown, came on a used vehicle) on my SSV's Fuyao glass with ZERO sandblasts stars or cracks... driving the same area that put inmumerable sandblasts, dozen stars, and several footlong cracks in a bimmer Pilkington windshield in 30k mi before I went and replaced it.

Drove a stock Soundscreen in my Navigator for ~10k mi, +2 stars and a few sandblasts... probably same as the BMW glass and just holds up better on account of the vehicle sitting much higher up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcason94