Winter driving modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug997

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post… I have a 2020 Expedition Black with the Stealth and Convenience packages. I live outside of Boston and also drive frequently North into the White Mountains (NH). I have the Drive Mode rotary switch. All page numbers refer to the 2020 Expedition Owner’s Manual. I understand the differences between 4A and 4H (4x4), in other words center transfer case verses center differential (may be able to lock). I have had other all-wheel drive cars (Audi) and 4x4 (Wrangler JK, JL has a center diff option now). Also have the Expedition FX4 take offs wheels/tires (275/55/20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac A/T) as I am sure the Hankook Dunapro HT would have been useless.

From my understanding I have the following controls to play with for driving in the snow/ice.

1) Drive modes (as listed on p268), note that on p205 it states the only way to get into 4H (I assume just locks the center diff) functionality is within Mud/Ruts and Sand Drive Modes. In addition, push buttons 2H, 4H, 2L switches next to Drive Mode Switch.

2) LSD locker eLSD (p212), locker switch next to Drive Mode rotary switch

3) Stability control (RSC on/off - long press) & Traction control (on/off - short press), switch is above NAV screen (p217), table of modes (p220).

Driving conditions…

1) Normal snow pack, road primarily clear
a. Drive mode - normal
b. 4A selected on push button switch

2) Normal snow pack, road snow/ice covered
a. Drive mode - Grass/Gravel/Snow (to get slippery tune), puts into 4A

3) Same as #2 but going up driveway (15-degree slope) (need to allow tires to spin)
a. Drive mode - Grass/Gravel/Snow
b. eLSD locker ON
c. Traction control OFF

Going up my drive while it is snow covered, I need to let the tires spin otherwise I get stuck half way up as power is cut. I have had to do this in both all-wheel drive and 4x4 vehicles I have owned

So, am I missing anything/setting that I should change?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Drive Mode selector but not the locker. I have dedicated Winter tires (Blizzak DM-V2) on steel rims and we get deep snow and ice packed down at intersections and highway roads as well as temps that can be near -40C for days at a time. I usually keep it in 4A and have really only used the SNOW MODE when it was REALLY DEEP snow like bottom of door level snow or when in the mountains. Never had any issues with being stuck and felt unsafe.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Locker on my not be the best option for a slippery uphill, it may want to make you slid to one side or the other. TC off will allow for some wheel spin. I haven't had need to mess with the various settings on the dial but usually a setting for sand or mud will allow for some wheel spin but still prevent you from getting too far sideways. Like in the your jeep jk, one push of the TC button will allow some wheels spin but keep the TC active enough to prevent getting sideways where as the long hold on the JK will turn it off and allow spinning donuts on the ice. I am making the assumption that the sand or mud dial setting is going to allow wheel spin but not let you get sideways. My experience with the lockers on jeeps is that they are not ideal in the snow under most circumstances on road.

We didn't end up having a lot of really icy snowy roads last winter and never needed more than pressing the 4a button.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found that its soooo much screwing around shutting all the electronic babysitters off that I just let them all on and ***** about them rather than shutting them all off every time and then swapping those stupid modes and all that.
I'll just run my old pickup in the winter with no traction control and a 4x4 or 2x4 button.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wish there was a manual lock for the center diff, the way adults intended it...
Locking your center diff is what you're doing when you select 4H. 4A allows the center diff to engage and disengage as it sees fit based on road conditions.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The traction control stuff is really for normal drivers who have a hard time handling tougher conditions.
I used to have a Corvette I raced in SCCA and when I had the traction control on or the stability control on it sucked bad and lap times were so pathetic. Granted this is on dry pavement. The modes basically preset buttons for you, the only benefit of the modes is the transmission shift points which we cannot change without the modes. I have not used my Expy in 4 wheel yet since I just got it but from my years of owning 4x4 in all conditions I plan to attack it like this.

Deep Sand - 4H, Diff Lock, No Traction Control. (sand you want balls out and no time for any wheels to not have power)
Snowy Hill - 4H, No Traction Control, and maybe test out diff lock.

Hills are ALL about momentum. I race Enduro Bikes in the desert and when you attack a hill its all momentum. If you hit a rock and throttle off its over. Growing up in Canada my Dad had a Chevy 2W Van. And we lived on a snowy steep hill. The ONLY way we could make it up is wheels spinning like crazy and momentum. (like your situation)

Like others said the locker gives you more grip but could kick the back out. So need to try both settings.

Even in my f150 in the snow I never use 4A unless its dry AND snow pavement mixed. If its snow its always 4H since its a predictable driving feel.

Not sure I answered anything in my long rant.