Drive Modes- do they *really* do things like in the bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
SPECIFICALLY - let me ask this. I have a 2wd expy. We're in Florida, so lets be honest. I really don't NEED 4x4.
But we have the "slippery" and "trail mode" drive modes. I know on the Bronco, the drive modes tend to use the brakes as traction advantage devices to prevent slipping, not unlike having lockers. Do the drive modes in the expy do sorta the same thing? I.e. will the slippery mode utilize the brakes to send power to the non-spinning wheel?

I have no way of testing.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes they are actually really good they way they programmed them. For example in the sand mode they disable traction control and stability control and in others they enguage the locker or auto 4a etc. Of course you can do this yourself so in one way they are just presets, BUT they change the transmission so in tow haul mode there is much more engine braking to save the brakes and in sport mode the rpms are a higher and not trying to go right away into 10 gear to meets the EPA and MPG BS.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes they are actually really good they way they programmed them. For example in the sand mode they disable traction control and stability control and in others they enguage the locker or auto 4a etc. Of course you can do this yourself so in one way they are just presets, BUT they change the transmission so in tow haul mode there is much more engine braking to save the brakes and in sport mode the rpms are a higher and not trying to go right away into 10 gear to meets the EPA and MPG BS.
I tow a wake boat and have played around with Tow/Haul mode vs sport mode. I am not sure if Tow/Haul mode stiffens the CCD but I found Sport mode to keep the rear end a bit less floaty when hooked up.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SPECIFICALLY - let me ask this. I have a 2wd expy. We're in Florida, so lets be honest. I really don't NEED 4x4.
But we have the "slippery" and "trail mode" drive modes. I know on the Bronco, the drive modes tend to use the brakes as traction advantage devices to prevent slipping, not unlike having lockers. Do the drive modes in the expy do sorta the same thing? I.e. will the slippery mode utilize the brakes to send power to the non-spinning wheel?

I have no way of testing.
I'm sure they do something, but I really don't care, it's fun to turn the dial!

OP
OP
E

ExpyNole

Reaction score

yeah, so I know they do that in 4wd. My question pertains specifically to 2wd. Will the 'slippery' mode in 2wd perform similarly? Say I'm in snow and one wheel spins, will it apply the brake to send power to the other wheel?

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
I have a similar question - also in the 4X2 situation. Just what is it that tow/haul does? My experimentation thus far has led me to feel it causes me to spend a lot more time in 5th gear than in 6th - costing me gas milage. (My rig is a 2017, with six speed trans and HD tow package). So I can see it changes shift points. I am also in Florida, so flat roads. I could visualize perhaps ‘health of the trans’ things by not having the rig working so hard while towing (saving trans friction surfaces?).
I can see an advantage if towing in the hills by having more engine braking, but I have experienced that as yet. I really feel I need to understand what this feature and the ever elusive ‘ford anti sway’ does to my rig. There does not seem to be any control over the anti sway for the driver - do I even have it?

OP
OP
E

ExpyNole

Reaction score
keeps you in a lower gear longer where the meat of the powerband is versus 'lugging' the engine being in too high a gear while towing.

Grizguy

Reaction score
2019 max with tow pkg.. The only mode I really use in the 95,000 so far is the eco mode.. it does save gas. I have used 4 x 4 a few times in the snow. sucks up a lot of gas when towing. I hit a deer last month $11,000 for minor damage. I drove it 50 miles home.

OP
OP
E

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Anything to the engine braking on downhills theory?

these engines don't engine brake, at all.
Watch the TFL Trucks videos of ecoboost F150's on the Ike Gauntlet. Zero engine braking. It's a function of the turbos.
The new tundra (TT V6) had the same issue, lack of engine braking.