Winter rim/tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glynn

Reaction score
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I'm bu@3er@d if I can find it. I live in Toronto, where for the last couple of years it seems to be permanently winter...apart from July 28th last year, when it was vaguely mild.

I drive a 2005 Expedition Limited with 4 wheel drive. My question is about the size of rims and winter tires I can use on the beast. I've been told that 16" rims with a narrower profile winter tire would work well. Can I put 16" wheels on...would it look stupid, would it work better etc?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Glynn

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the smallest rim size you can go is 17" cause of the brakes. And the largest tire you could fit w/o lift is around 285/70/17 and you might even need to trim the bumper a little bit with that. If you want smaller width get something like 285/65/17. If don't want to trim and want smaller width a 275/65/17 might be the way to go.

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Reaction score
Thanks', I appreciate the response. I was pretty doubtful...and then I thought it would just look plain stupid anyway! Better stick with the 17s.