Winter Startup Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
Around November 25th I will be taking the Expedition out to Denver, running 10w-30 full synthetic pennzoil, good tranny fluid, coolant, and other fluids will be topped off and double checked. Being from a year round hot climate can anyone give me some advice on cold starts? I don't want to turn it on and my oil or tranny fluid be so thick it blows the engine or damages engine/tranny. It usually drops no lower than 30 degrees out there, theres no chance it'll get anywhere near below zero.....so im wondering if I would be able to just turn the car on and let it warm up??

If you live in a cold climate and have an older expedition whats your morning routine? what do you recommend?

** also, I do not want to purchase a engine block heater!

OP
OP
E

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
Absolutely any advice on anything i need to look at before going into the cold, any fluids that may need to be replaced for the cold, anything is helpful.. thank you!!!!

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I moved away from Denver last October I never had a problem getting in my Expedition starting it letting it warm up a few minutes don't leave your car unattended unless it has auto start otherwise you'll get a ticket for leaving your vehicle unattended and I just drove a normal

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely any advice on anything i need to look at before going into the cold, any fluids that may need to be replaced for the cold, anything is helpful.. thank you!!!!

You should be fine with the oil and tranny fluid. Make sure your coolant is correct 50/50 mix and double check your windshield washer fluid to ensure it's rated for freezing temps.

As stated above, start your vehicle and after a few seconds put it in gear and drive...recommend you drive 'granny' style for a few miles until the temp gauge starts moving. Then you could start driving a little more 'aggressive'.

Helpful Tip: put what year/type Expy you have in your signature block...that way everyone has a little more info to help you out.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm in New York and I've had plenty of 5-degree mornings with my 2000 Expedition. It had 250K miles when I drove it. Thirty degrees is the normal winter temperature here, and I never had any problem.

If the car's mechanically good, you'll have no problems. If the battery's have shot, the cold will kill it completely and you'll be jump starting it on the coldest morning of the year. It's good to have transmission fluid and filter that isn't twelve years old and let the thing warm up a minute or so if it's down by zero. If you don't know how old your battery is, good jumper cables are a handy item to carry.

Also expect icy roads, which do in many an inexperienced driver. Four wheel drive helps you handle, but it doesn't help you stop. When you see fools passing you at 70 MPH on icy roads, be smarter than they and take it easy. Remember that bridge decks are colder and freeze up faster than roadways. No fun tooling down the interstate only to slide over an overpass sideways.

If you have high mileage and never used your heater, check it now, as it's no fun replacing a clogged heater core when it's 30 degrees.

You'll find it all a bit sluggish when first starting.

17LimitedExpy says it all above.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Florida people are always the funniest when it comes to cold weather. Life does exist below freezing. We don’t shut down the city for 6” of snow- heck we don’t shut down the city for 24” of snow.

Get rid of the 10w-30 oil. You shouldn’t be running that thick of oil no matter where you live. 5w-30, 5w-20 or even 0w-20 is what you should be running depending on which motor you have.

Don’t let your engine run too long before you drive when it’s cold. 60 seconds or so- or however long it takes to clear the windows.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Explorer Tom, thicker oil is a no go in cold weather. The whole reason we use 5W-20 or 5W-30 is flow at startup. It’s 5 (WINTER)-30 meaning 5 weight when cold so the oil can flow to everything fast on startup. Thicker oil will take longer to get everywhere and increase startup and flow like thick syrup, not good for the engine.

justKen

Reaction score
The above posters have pretty much nailed it.

Though we have our share of moonbats (thank you California) - driving to Colorado isn't like driving to the moon. Use your head, think ahead, slow down, and enjoy this beautiful state! If your truck is in solid-enough shape handle the trip to make it here from Florida, then you should have no real problems while here.

/K

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All our vehicles are warmed up until they reach operating temperature before being driven. On the '16 expy I wait until the engine oil temp reads normal.