Wiper Blade for 2017 model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a search and did not really find an answer for my question I am now posting.

The front wiper blades on the 2017 when new seemed to work pretty well. Yes, the 'contact' on the passenger side was odd, to me, that the end of the wiper did not contact the glass. But, the glass is curved so I guess that is to be expected. But, it did not seem to be that bad of a 'non contact' situation.

I am noticing that the replacement blades I'm buying are more Non Contact than the originals? I am buying 'Name Brand'. The 'end' seems to be more non contact and more noticeable? I am noticing that these newer blades are more aerodynamic? I seem to remember the original OEM blades were more 'open' in construction............am I making sense?

Sooooo, I went to the Ford Dealer and requested the "FORD" brand of wipers.. I figured the 'fit' would be better or like 'original'. Well.....I was wrong. These 'new' blades FROM FORD look just like the 'Name Brand' ones I have been using and the fitment is as poor also? I guess FORD does not make or 'have made' the blades like they used to?

So, my question after the long winded introduction. How have any of you remedied this situation? Buy a shorter blade for the passenger side? or.........................

thanks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The originals that come on these trucks were always open steel frame. You likely keep buying beam replacements. The ends tend to not contact as well, that being said the beam style works better in the winter time.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a search and did not really find an answer for my question I am now posting.

The front wiper blades on the 2017 when new seemed to work pretty well. Yes, the 'contact' on the passenger side was odd, to me, that the end of the wiper did not contact the glass. But, the glass is curved so I guess that is to be expected. But, it did not seem to be that bad of a 'non contact' situation.

I am noticing that the replacement blades I'm buying are more Non Contact than the originals? I am buying 'Name Brand'. The 'end' seems to be more non contact and more noticeable? I am noticing that these newer blades are more aerodynamic? I seem to remember the original OEM blades were more 'open' in construction............am I making sense?

Sooooo, I went to the Ford Dealer and requested the "FORD" brand of wipers.. I figured the 'fit' would be better or like 'original'. Well.....I was wrong. These 'new' blades FROM FORD look just like the 'Name Brand' ones I have been using and the fitment is as poor also? I guess FORD does not make or 'have made' the blades like they used to?

So, my question after the long winded introduction. How have any of you remedied this situation? Buy a shorter blade for the passenger side? or.........................

thanks
Buy a shorter wiper.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The originals that come on these trucks were always open steel frame. You likely keep buying beam replacements. The ends tend to not contact as well, that being said the beam style works better in the winter time.

Thanks. Soooooo, I guess 'Ford' does not sell the open steel frame anymore? I will start looking more carefully at the "Name Brand" and see if any of them sell the open frame still.

I may tho try buying a shorter version of the 'closed' style for the passenger side????

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Soooooo, I guess 'Ford' does not sell the open steel frame anymore? I will start looking more carefully at the "Name Brand" and see if any of them sell the open frame still.

I may tho try buying a shorter version of the 'closed' style for the passenger side????

You could, but the issue with that is then you lose clearing space in the middle. The end makes contact once the wipers move toward the driver side. Dealers often stock the wipers based on seasonal demand. Usually in summer they sell the steel frame, in winter they sell more beam wipers. If you are in Georgia you’d think they would stock steel frame all year round but maybe not.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually in summer they sell the steel frame, in winter they sell more beam wipers. If you are in Georgia you’d think they would stock steel frame all year round but maybe not.

Hmmmmm, I happened to be in Central Florida and that is where I bought the OEM Ford blades at the Brandon Ford dealership. So, I guess Florida is not selling the steel frame either? Thanks for the clarification

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had the same problem when I replaced the beam type with Michelin's aero/smooth blades. The problem I had was that the center of the "smooth cover" would contact the glass. I called Michelin and they told me the problem is that the spring on the arm has too much pressure for the smooth type and pushes the cover to the glass. They told me to stick with the beam type.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986