Wiring up Aftermarket headlamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need some help with some headlamps i just bought on OfferUp, the main plug appears to be maybe a relay or at least that kind of plug. maybe it plugs into a relay? idk im not knowledgeable with electrical however I follow directions well.

also it has two raw wires, sort of looks like they come from the DRL but it's hard to tell; this would also be odd as there's a bunch of wires on the inside of the sealant cup that holds the light bulb.

3D67B732-B79F-4D97-8A0C-B13A00816AA5.jpeg

36F3AB64-48A3-410E-9913-596E30B3BADC.jpeg

5D1BB94C-3A12-4B0B-8AA9-F58237347674.jpeg

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Expy? Were your original headlights halogen, LED or sealed???
What brand are the ones you got on offer up? and what type are they LED, halogen???

The connector with 3 wide spade blades probably has 1 ground, 1 low beam and 1 high beam.

as far as the red and black wires, they may be parking lights but without more info it's hard to guess

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That plug is what would be found on an old school 1990s sealed beam headlight . Weird...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Andy Rubalcaba

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it sorted out, at first it didn't seem like all that wiring would pull out but it does, and what appears to be the case is that they give you two options:

DRL has a custom plug inside integrated into the bulb wiring for the halogen H7, meaning would just need a H13 adapter to that big plug which is an H4.

option two which is my option since I have HID's on the way ( H7 ), you use the HIDs own wiring which will still need an adapter from H7 to H13 which i just ordered. then, you use the two raw wires to wire up the DRL from another source such as the side marker stock plug or turn signal.

in a nut shell it's all sorted just need to wait for parts to come in to put it all together.

85D5CDD0-2548-440F-9807-D9A8D3C83C12.jpeg

DA9A3DE0-03AE-422D-9D9F-229BACE2BCDC.jpeg

D7E42527-8D89-40CF-B0FE-1A793E428559.jpeg

3F0DB1E9-13AC-4921-87C5-E8E46F4FF275.jpeg

OP
OP
Andy Rubalcaba

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks a bit wonky with the plastic wrap still on it but I'm waiting until i'm done moving them / installed.

they were 250$ locally picked up in case someone is wondering, there were a few sellers in my area around same price.

6D6758FF-D3BA-4600-838B-A12A7BE67AA5.jpeg

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the projector is a bi zenon and there isn’t a separate high beam lamp, those other wires might be to activate the solenoid on the high beam shroud inside the projector. That’s how the Morimoto ones I have work. They came with an external control module that everything plugs into. If those wires are the DRL then there has to be some control for low and high if they were made for HID. I can’t tell from the pics but I’m guessing a controller is built in somewhere.

Please let us know how they work out, if good light down the road and wide coverage? I really like the look of them. I’m wanting black bucket Limited style for mine.

That old style plug is still used by some companies like Nissan. My parents have a 2015 Versa and I put a TheRetrofitSource.com Morimoto kit on theirs because the factory lighting was unexceptable for anyone let alone an 87 year old.

Last edited:

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I see now. I didn’t notice two sets of black & red wires. The ones inside the housing with white connector look to be the high beam shroud. The ones with no connector probably are the DRL.

OP
OP
Andy Rubalcaba

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I see now. I didn’t notice two sets of black & red wires. The ones inside the housing with white connector look to be the high beam shroud. The ones with no connector probably are the DRL.
that would be interesting if the white connector one is high beam, i was figuring two different wiring options on the DRL. i'm waiting on my adapter to come in mail today, it's already night time but says it's out for delivery.

it's been raining all day so I might not even get to it until tomorrow, i'll just have to smoke some bowls while I wait lol.