Working on engine- what do you stand on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I just stand at the sides when doing the plugs, if I gotta reach deep in the center I just hop on the motor and either sit on it or kneel on top of it. But being 6'5" I can reach about 90% of the engine bay

JNT1

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the tire step. Unlike a latter or stool it can't slide out from under you.

Joe

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a plastic 12 inch step, that I bought at an ace hardware. I'm 6'2 330 lbs. it holds my fat carcass. I believe a 2 foot one is also available. Problem is you can't make any crazy moves on it. The ones that go over tire are safest, but you might scratch wheel. Put a blanket over wheel first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" but I've always wanted one of those topside creepers. My driveway is slanted, so I park the truck with the front tires on the street to sort of "tip" the truck forward. I've also used ramps under the rear wheels to do the same thing. Not a HUGE difference, but it helps. My issue leaning over the front is the hood latch digs into my gut. When I had a push bar on the front, I wrapped a pad around the flat cross piece and knealed on it.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5' 8" and shrinking. i use a step ladder and an adjustable scaffold to hold all my shit so I don't have to keep going up and down for whatever.