Would an 07 be a smart purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Use Motorcraft oil filters. They have a check valve that will greatly reduce timing chain guide wear. Any car with 240,000 miles will need parts from time to time. There's also an ongoing possibility that the thing may die at that advanced age. But at the price, as has been said, you can't go wrong, especially since it's a second vehicle from which absolute reliability isn't required.

Hopefully you can do your own work because repair labor adds up quickly.

I'd look over the brake lines and undercarriage for serious rust and go for it it all else looks good.

Last edited:

vincentrose

Reaction score
It is a good price, however, just keep in mind, it was 2005-2008 models that had the 2 piece spark plugs were notorious for breaking apart if you tried to remove them especially on a engine with that many miles. I'd ask if the spark plugs had ever been replaced before, but if they are the original ones, then watch out. The spark plugs would almost certainly break apart if you tried to replace them, requiring a special removal tool finish removing them, even then, there's no guarantee that this tool will work, so the only thing that would be left would be to remove the cylinder heads.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If any break after the soaking procedures they can be extracted with the latest tools. Pulling a head is very rare for that.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '07 had a power-steering leak and AC issues. I discovered that the top few rows of the radiator are the cooling section for the power steering fluid. I could see the top of the passenger side of the radiator had an oily stain from the PS fluid (ATF fluid). I purchased a oil cooler that would fit next to the auxiliary trans cooler and hooked up news PS lines to it. I also added an inline filter. It hasn't leaked in the past 3 years.

I also had some on-and-off AC issues. I discovered that the temperature sensor located in the evaporator/heater core box was faulty. I used a cheap resistor to jump out the sensor and the AC has been great ever since (although it will freeze up on very long drives, so I have to turn it off for a few moments to let it thaw). The temperature sensor is fairly cheap, but requires that I pull apart the dash to get to.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
I’ve owned an ‘08 for 7 years now, and have just reached 192k on the clock. Still looks brand new (but I put in a lot of effort and $$ to keep it that way) given that a 2021 replacement is now north of 75k I can spend a few $$ to keep it that way.

my biggest ticket repairs have been the passenger side exhaust manifold (for some reason the castings on that side are inferior, and one rear hub. (You don’t repair the hub, you replace the whole darn thing)

that said, we love our truck. And with a good maintenance schedule and frequent washings it should be good to go for another 200k at least…

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's a family friend and trying to help you guys out that's great. l would ask him to take it to a shop and get a quote to fix the power steering leak. If the rack is leaking, that could be expensive and it might not be a great deal after-all. Maybe the shop can also look at anything else that might need to be fixed coming up. Knowing the person is a huge advantage in your favor.

My 2003 had a leaking power steering lines and a few other things going on with it. It was like $2k to fix. I ended up giving it away to my brother-in-law after showing him the repairs needed. He had them done and it's been a great truck ever since.

In your case, maybe it's a $2k repair and you can talk him down to $1k based off the repairs and mileage.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My AC cost $936 and it included a new compressor. The condenser goes bad and line, by the passenger front tire. Funny thing was, the same year, it had a power steering leak. It was line running along the frame, to the pump. It rotted out, right where it was touching. I found one at the junk yard. Someone must of replaced it, because it was like new. I was $3 plus a quart of some Mercon V fluid. Two tires(not recommended with a 4wd) will be $250-300. Offer him $1600.

donsmrs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. A good family friend (father of the step kids, really awesome and honest guy, we all have a great relationship), is offering us his 2007 Expedition LTD with about 240k Miles for $2,000. He's the second owner and got it back in '13 with 59k on the engine.

He tells us that shocks were replaced within the last 2 years, and breaks and discs within the last month. The car needs rear tires, but the major things are: AC is not working and he hasn't checked on the culprit, and there is an unspecified power steering leak.

I know the car's value is a bit more than what he's asking from us, but he's doing us a favor as we are just getting back on our feet from being unemployed.

The question is, would an 07 Expedition with this high a mileage be a good buy, or would we be getting into a world of potential age related problems around the corner? I read around the forum and seems like the AC not working is a PITA to troubleshoot properly and could climb into the thousands of dollars in wrong part replacements, is this the case?

PS. This would be a second vehicle for us to use as the "Family car", since my other is a small Scion. We would be looking to keep it for 2, maybe 3 years until we can upgrade.

Thanks in advanced for your advice :)
Hard to tell. We bought our 2007 Expy Eddie Bauer 2WD from a dealer in 2010 with 23,000 miles, as a leased turn-in. Compared to our 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer 2wd, the 2007 was a dream, not a nightmare. (The 2,000 ate at the dinner table with us). On the 2007, we did all the routine maintenances on schedule and it just performed 10x better than the 2000 model ever did. I sold it last fall because of a rumble that the mechanic we have used for 20 years, said was likely coming from the engine. I didn't want to risk putting $10,000. or so into a new engine plus labor. And I promptly bought a 2014 Expy LTD with 63,000 miles on it, last October. My old Expy is running like a champ, engine seems to be holding up well, for the new owner, so who knows?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni