XLT Taillight Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Most obvious point I can notice is the outer rims is in different color. And the halogen exterior is two-colored with red and clear while LED is just clear.

IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4301.JPG

Country

Reaction score
New to the forum. I will get more into details later, but I have completed the led light swap. The red wire that you are wondering about is just a 12v feed back the the bcm( body control module). It is only used for turn signal outage. It doesn’t need to be used on the swap. Only the pins need to be moved around for the corresponding circuits. Ie. brake/ tail/ reverse.

I will try to do a step by step on what I did. I still have to program the bcm to led. Only reason for that is to get the directional arrow on the cluster to slow down. I currently have resistors on the circuits to fix the issue.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
New to the forum. I will get more into details later, but I have completed the led light swap. The red wire that you are wondering about is just a 12v feed back the the bcm( body control module). It is only used for turn signal outage. It doesn’t need to be used on the swap. Only the pins need to be moved around for the corresponding circuits. Ie. brake/ tail/ reverse.

I will try to do a step by step on what I did. I still have to program the bcm to led. Only reason for that is to get the directional arrow on the cluster to slow down. I currently have resistors on the circuits to fix the issue.

Thanks a lot. Would you mind taking a look at my video on page 1 between 0:14-0:25. Do you think LED modules is kinda dim when only using turn signals without low beam, or is that the same brightness on LTD/Plat?

Country

Reaction score
In the video it appears dim. Kinda hard to tell at that angle. I have noticed with mine that as soon as the marker lights shut off the directional on the left side will be dim for about 5-10 flashes and then brighten back up. It is normal after that. And normal when the lights are on. I will be reprogramming my bcm to led I’m hoping it will fix the issue. Hopefully will be doing it this week. Other than that they work as they should.

18XLT

Reaction score
This is awesome progress

now for those of us who are not so good with wiring - who wants to mass produce an adapter and make them plug-n-play (+ FORScan BCM reprogramming).

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Any further updates? Any plans to mass produce adapters?

Please feel free to PM me if you need instructions on which wire goes where. I'm not planning on doing the retrofit yet as there is still a potential safety hazard that the turn signal appears to be too dim for the first couple of seconds, and I assume it would be something software related. I don't have the ability or plan to mass produce adapters as rewiring is a relatively simple job and demands may not be that high since LED modules are pretty expansive to start with. The best bet is to wait for some aftermarket products that can just simply replace the tail light module without any hassle.

Breaker

Reaction score
I have contacted most aftermarket manufacturers and no one has plans for the expy yet. Led swap might be the only option we ever have.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Let's see who gets aftermarket LEDs first, since Ford and GM both have new generations now.