"Don't try to replace spark plugs!" 2008 Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3xp3d1t1on

Reaction score
Used to get19-20mpg cruising on freeway and on the same route I was getting 13-15 cruising the freeway where as before I got 19-20mpg.
Has that happened to anybody?

Experienced the SAME thing. Went from ~16-18 city and ~21 hwy to ~11 city and ~16 highway.
I'm about 1K into my new plugs and I'm almost back to my old MPG.

sarge816

Reaction score
Ok, late to thread but I have an 05 EB that has 108k and never changed spark plugs. It's my wife's folks truck that we purchase about 3 yrs ago, we have all maintenance records. Thing runs like a top, no rough idle or issues. I took it in for 100k service at non-dealer and they said if it wasn't running rough or missing, don't mess with it. How long do these plugs actually last? Anyone with a EX over 100k still rocking OG plugs with no issues? I do plan on getting it done, but at this point if it ain't broke I'm not interested in fixin' it. Thx.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO they need to ne replaced around 50k. That's around when I did our Mustang and Expy and they were done. They both ran fine, but they ran better afterwards.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

sarge816

Reaction score
IMO they need to ne replaced around 50k. That's around when I did our Mustang and Expy and they were done. They both ran fine, but they ran better afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback. Owner's Manual has 100k service as the first time these plugs should be changed on this year truck, was just wondering how far someone has pushed them with no real issues. Currently getting 19-20mpg hwy mileage @ 70mph cruise, no rough idle or missing or anything else of concern.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That's when I did mine. I took my time and none of them broke. It wasn't running bad before but it ran a little smoother after. (After it smoked the neighborhood burning off the penetrating fluid I sprayed in the holes to get the old plugs out)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Seafoam and penetrating oil. My neighbors loved me.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, late to thread but I have an 05 EB that has 108k and never changed spark plugs. It's my wife's folks truck that we purchase about 3 yrs ago, we have all maintenance records. Thing runs like a top, no rough idle or issues. I took it in for 100k service at non-dealer and they said if it wasn't running rough or missing, don't mess with it. How long do these plugs actually last? Anyone with a EX over 100k still rocking OG plugs with no issues? I do plan on getting it done, but at this point if it ain't broke I'm not interested in fixin' it. Thx.

That's the problem. There are no warning signs before it starts misfiring because the gap is to far or one of them broke.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My beast is going in for the 100k tune-up next week and they are replacing the plugs. Lets hope for the best.

Elvis Bogart

Reaction score
Phew

I just did my plugs using the impact wrench method. Only broke 2 and they were up front. What a job! I'm making it a yearly maintenance item to remove the plugs clean them and reapply anti seize. Truck runs a ton better! Had 96k on (my assumption) factory plugs.

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to ask the repair shop to lessen the price because your Expy has the brown boots instead of the black?