"Don't try to replace spark plugs!" 2008 Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bosco123

Reaction score
No need to worry.....

I currently own a 2007 Ford Expedition, there is a TSB Bulletin out for the 3rd generation expeditions in which the OEM Motorcraft plugs have been replaced with "1" piece design, also I own all the official Ford maintenance manuals for my 07 expy. I had the luxury of replacing my plugs at about 88k miles, it was a cinch took about 1 hr. NO NEED to purchase the lisle plug remover. Instead of using motorcrap parts I replaced the plugs with champion 7989 plugs, been running smooth ever since. Just hit 182k as of 06/10/13 with the champion plugs.

Last edited:

Bosco123

Reaction score
I'm told that the brown boot spark plugs do not have the extraction problem, or they have less of a problem than the spark plugs which have black boots.

Anyone have suggestions of a thin-viscosity carbon solvent I should first apply and let soak through the threads and around the sparkplug's external ground electrode tube?
I have PB blaster but it has no carbon solvent capabilities.
Thank you.[/QUOT

PB blaster is crap, use Kroil oil(amazon) best stuff hands down. Its not a difficult procedure. Open hood let eng cool to the touch (warm), remove Coil Overs(each has 1 retaining bolt.) Spray kroil in each plug let it sit for about 10 min, break torque allow to soak in threads for another 10 min. Then remove plugs one by one and replace with Champion 7989 plugs.

jimb726

Reaction score
The Motorcraft TSB suggest cracking the plug loose, no more, and adding a capful or two of Motorcraft carb cleaner, let it sit for an hour or so and work the plug out, if you get a lot of resistance run it in and out as you remove it. More often then not you will have no issues, the tool is nice to have just in case and since it isnt one that Autozone loans, you may be SOL if you need it on a Saturday.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I currently own a 2007 Ford Expedition, there is a TSB Bulletin out for the 3rd generation expeditions in which the OEM Motorcraft plugs have been replaced with "1" piece design, also I own all the official Ford maintenance manuals for my 07 expy. I had the luxury of replacing my plugs at about 88k miles, it was a cinch took about 1 hr. NO NEED to purchase the lisle plug remover. Instead of using motorcrap parts I replaced the plugs with champion 7989 plugs, been running smooth ever since. Just hit 182k as of 06/10/13 with the champion plugs.

Bosco, what other maintenance you've done in between 100k to now? I'm at 123k on my '07. Not sure if plugs were done or not yet either...

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove to the dealership in my 2008 then drove home and within 30-45 minutes of being home my plugs were all replaced. Granted I have brown boot coils, but still easy change and boy were those motorcraft plugs expensive! But hey if yall want to spend tons of moneyat the dealership then by all means.

1mpg

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to run seafoam on our engines to get rid if the carbon build up? I've used seafoam on my Mazda and I want to say it worked great and restored some if not all power.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to run seafoam on our engines to get rid if the carbon build up? I've used seafoam on my Mazda and I want to say it worked great and restored some if not all power.

I used it in our 06 Mustang before changing the plugs. The plugs felt the same coming out as the plugs in the Expy without the Seafoam treatment.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Lc'S'08

Reaction score
'08 expedition spark plugs

I've read the issues with trying to change out the spark plugs and will admit it does seem a little daunting. However I have changed some in an econoline van with the same 5.4 engine and those are a pain just because if the cramped space. My expedition got to 90k so I decided it was time to change the plugs. Dealership wants nearly $20 a plug. Local auto parts sells same motorcraft plugs for half the price. Kind of a no brainer on that.
I decided to start ok the passenger side just because that was looking a little more open and a little easier with big hands to get around. The boot came off and out easily. I will admit that when you drop that socket down the hole with some extensions it's like going in the abyss. The first turn was tight and instantly noticed and could feel what was like grinding as I tries to turn and loosen the plug out. I stopped (worried it may seize up and actually snap) so I put some PB blaster in the whole, waited a minute and it turned fairly smooth and came out no problem. The rest came out pretty easily and with no issues except some gunk around the base of the boots.
Has anybody been concerned about the conditions of their plugs when pulled out? Have they looked pretty evenly worn,burned, etc across all 8? The reason is, the very last plug on the passenger side showed significant wear Compared to the rest. No other issues with motor running but I did do a 350mile drive after changing the plugs and mileage was terrible for the first 300miles or so. Used to get19-20mpg cruising on freeway and on the same route I was getting 13-15 cruising the freeway where as before I got 19-20mpg.
Has that happened to anybody?
Could have been the gas maybe? I did get some Safeway Gas which is usually fine but maybe I went just after their tanks were filled.
Any thoughts? Thanks for any input

All in all, changing the spark plugs in these expeditions is not all that bad or difficult for anybody that can turn a wrench and plug wire harness back on. The dealerships and most shops will charge Atleast $300-600 just to change those plugs out. About an hour an half and some patience will save you a ton of money.

Edmaude

Reaction score
Just changed the plugs on my 2008 with engine build date of 12/07. I have the newer style plugs and brown boots on my engine as well and it was a breeze.

Now I have a brand new lisle tool that needs a good home. If anyone needs one for the earlier build engines please let me know and I will sell it for 60 bucks shipped.

[email protected]