2000 EB to 2017 eco boost - hesitant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I cannot begin to fathom the stupidity this post has. You have demonstrated you have absolutely know knowledge of engines let alone powerstroke. No gasoline engine turbo or not can come close. A diesel is a very low stress engine and btw they are still pushrod engines with four overhead valves per cylinder, a gasoline turbo engine isn't comparable in the least. The diesels have high pressure common rail fuel delivery, are low revving, have six head bolts per cylinder, no spark plugs. No comparison can be made.
I agree. A diesel is a much more robust engine. The heavy engine parts, must rotate much slower. The redline is around 3000 rpm. The slower RPM's starve the engine for air. Forced induction , is needed to compensate. Older Detroit's all had blowers. Gasoline fuel to air ratio, results in a hotter burn. Gas engines rev twice as high.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. A diesel is a much more robust engine. It works less at a lower rpm. The fuel is oil and adds to cooling of motor. The redline is around 3000rpm. Forced induction aids and needed in combustion and on older Detroit's all had blowers.

Yes and diesels are almost always turbo because it aids in combustion and power, gasoline engines dont need it nor is it made for it. Gasoline engines rev high and at combust totally different parameters. This guy just tries to justify in his mind how great his puny little engine is and is trying to compare it to legendary platforms it should never even be used in the same sentence with. Gasoline engines produce much more horsepower with gasoline combustion compared to a diesel.... a diesel requires a turbo to get higher horsepower.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes and diesels are almost always turbo because it aids in combustion and power, gasoline engines dont need it nor is it made for it. Gasoline engines rev high and at combust totally different parameters. This guy just tries to justify in his mind how great his puny little engine is and is trying to compare it to legendary platforms it should never even be used in the same sentence with.

What do you think the turbo in a Gas motor is doing? It also adds in power.

The turbo has ZERO to do with combustion. Man, you really don't understand motors do you? Neither of you do. Just because you agree with each other doesn't make your info correct.

Turbo's exist to get more air into an engine, so more fuel can be added, because more burned fuel, means more energy, which means more power(HP, LB/FT). Turbo's make it easier to use smaller displacement and get the same power.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree. A diesel is a much more robust engine. The heavy engine parts, must rotate much slower. The redline is around 3000 rpm. The slower RPM's starve the engine for air. Forced induction , is needed to compensate. Older Detroit's all had blowers. Gasoline fuel to air ratio, results in a hotter burn. Gas engines rev twice as high.

You are stuck in the past Modern diesels rev higher, have common rail fuel systems, and did Direct injection way before it was popular on Gas motors. The reason being the diesels needed the precision of Direct injection to meet the emissions requirements, and decrease particulate matter(Soot) that is generated when a diesel over fuels to get more power. Blowers(SuperChargers) are just mechanically driven turbos, or turbos are exhaust driven Superchargers. They both have advantages. Procharger Superchargers look and function like turbos... Hell some rigs, and new Volvos have BOTH.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What do you think the turbo in a Gas motor is doing? It also adds in power.

The turbo has ZERO to do with combustion. Man, you really don't understand motors do you? Neither of you do. Just because you agree with each other doesn't make your info correct.

Turbo's exist to get more air into an engine, so more fuel can be added, because more burned fuel, means more energy, which means more power(HP, LB/FT). Turbo's make it easier to use smaller displacement and get the same power.
LokiWolk, are you the "Edge Sport/VW" guy always chiming in on Expedition Fourm?

ranger024x4

Reaction score
Uhh...it was 8 Ford mechanics mate, not 1, 8 out of 10 and one of the 10 admitted he didn't know because he was new to Ford. All 8 mechanics cited the same basic reasoning for the 5.0 v8, reliability, ease of maintenance, cost of maintenance, forced induction on small engine.

Who else but a Ford mechanic's word would you take, someone who has a 60 month car payment on an eco boost?

this was my experience with a 5.0 @ 30k miles

11150480_690717741056985_6621996589294497527_n.jpg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LokiWolk, are you the "Edge Sport/VW" guy always chiming in on Expedition Fourm?

We have been through this. I currently own a 2017 Expedition with 11K, that replaced a 2015 with 27K. Out of the 38K, I have put 25K on. It is my Wife's daily driver, but our main family vehicle, I drive it when we are going anywhere as a family. My Edge Sport is my DD, and has 17K. Before that my DD was a 2013 Passat TDI, before that, a 2006 TDI Jetta, and before that a 2006 F250 PSD. My wife drove the 250 DD for a few years before we bought the Expy, and it was our 3rd vehicle(Which is when it got its overhaul, for EVEN more power).

Why is this hard for you to grasp...Nevermind... You are a guy claiming to know SOOO much about the EB, but don't actually own one. Hold on, with your logic, you shouldn't be allowed here, because you don't even own a 3rd gen Expedition. I own one, I drive it. I have towed with it, albeit up the puny mountains/hills we have it VA, but regardless it handled 5500+ pounds like it wasn't there.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this was my experience with a 5.0 @ 30k miles

Thats what known as "infant mortality" in reliability engineering. There will always be some part of a population that fails very early in its life. Its part of the 'bathtub curve' which exhibits a high failure rate at "birth", then the failure rate drops to nearly zero for some period of time, then the rate jumps back up at the end of life. Its this curve that companies use to establish their warranty periods, and explains why the part fails just after the warranty expires. Its not magic...its math.

ranger024x4

Reaction score
This guy just tries to justify in his mind how great his puny little engine is and is trying to compare it to legendary platforms it should never even be used in the same sentence with. Gasoline engines produce much more horsepower with gasoline combustion compared to a diesel.... a diesel requires a turbo to get higher horsepower.
I think the point he was trying to make is just because an engine has a turbo, doesn't automatically make them less reliable.