2000 Eddie Bauer No Heat.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to the forum and starting my first thread. So thanks in advance for the help!

I just purchased a 2000 expedition eddie bauer with the 5.4 with a 196,000 miles. I have the auto climate control and luke warm/cool at best heat, both front and rear. This happens through all RPMs and the more you turn up the blower, obviously the cooler it gets. Being that I live in central Illinois, i will definitely be needing heat SOON. Im a little stumped though as Ive done several things to correct it and still seems to be no heat. Heres what Ive done and verified:

-Had the cooling system flushed and had both heater cores back flushed-good flow through the cores.
-Changed thermostat with a Motorcraft thermostat.
-Verified blend door operation and it is working properly.
-Engine coolant temp gauge is always reading perfect, in the middle or a tad less than middle. I have not hooked any type of scan tool up to it to read the actual engine temp.
-The heater hoses going into the heater core is hot, one coming out is warm.

Heres my question as I am trying to make sure I dont have a flow issue throughout the whole system as I am worried that all the hoses are not actually as hot as they should be. What temps are you all seeing (people with nice hot heat in the cabin) with an infrared thermometer at the following places?
-Upper radiator hose passenger side
-Hoses leading to and from the front heater core
-Hoses leading to and from the rear heater core measured under the hood

My biggest worry is that while the hoses are hot, I can grab any one of them and hold onto them for a few seconds without burning the hell out of my hand. Most vehicles you can barely even grab onto the hoses without having to let get go right away.

Sorry for the long post, but this is just getting annoying on my end and want to make sure I get to the bottom of this. Thank you all for any help you can give me!

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can not give you info on the temps that you should be reading. There is a member on here that can give you better information on temps. Stamp11127 he should be on later today.

Since you are asking for temps that you should be seeing it would be very helpful if you could post any figures that you have already taken.

Although the inst gauge is in the middle that is not a true indication of the actual engine temp and again it would be helpful it you can provide that figure.

What was the temp rating of the new t/stat you installed

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I can not give you info on the temps that you should be reading. There is a member on here that can give you better information on temps. Stamp11127 he should be on later today.

Since you are asking for temps that you should be seeing it would be very helpful if you could post any figures that you have already taken.

Although the inst gauge is in the middle that is not a true indication of the actual engine temp and again it would be helpful it you can provide that figure.

What was the temp rating of the new t/stat you installed

I will be getting those readings this afternoon as far as using the actual infrared thermometer goes. Im having a tough time locating someone who has a scan tool of any type that can live monitor the coolant temp sensor so I can know whats actually going on. As far as the temp of the thermostat, its the OEM motorcraft one directly from ford. So itll be the standard 192-195 degree one. They dont offer anything else.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have an answer and don't mean to thread jack but I'd be interested in the answers too. My heater was working fine when I first bought the truck early summer, but Ac need refilling and once I had the Ac working heat went away wonder what could cause that?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BuiltFordTough

You may be able to stop at a auto zone or any place like it and ask if the could hook up the scan tool and get you the current eng temp reading

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
black 4x4

I would think that being you are in LA and the heat was working fine in early summer it really would take much to make it seem like it was fine.

You need to provide more information as to your problem Such as what have you done to check the problem and any parts that have been replaced Water pump, T/stat etc.
What are the temps going into and out of the heater core/s or at least do they feel hot and are they equally hot. The more you provide makes it easier for those that try to help you

It also may be better for you to start a new thread for your problem. Past experience has taught me that what may be the cure for one person may not be the cure for another person with a similar problem

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
BuiltFordTough

You may be able to stop at a auto zone or any place like it and ask if the could hook up the scan tool and get you the current eng temp reading

I did end up calling them. They said their OBD II tools that are available to use can only pretty much read and clear fault codes. Doesnt seem like unless I bought one that it would be able to give me a live temp reading. Harbor freight does have one that scans a live reading of engine sensors for 79.99. So Im considering buying one to check this out. Supposed to get down to the 30s friday night and can hopefully figure out the root cause.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a OBDII Bluetooth device and a program on my smart phone that would cost you under $25.00 The program is called Toque pro and the OBDII Bluetooth device can be purchased on E-bay Check it out

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is an example of the readings I can get using the adaptor and my tablet plus many more and it reads codes also

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-05-14-44-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-14-44-29.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett