2004 expy wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you on the trouble with shop issue, but a no run condition will almost never be all 8 spark plugs, unless you flooded engine. Your problems the opposite, with little or no fuel. I understand trying to isolate your problem, so the shop doesn't try to scam you. Don't you have a better business bureau that narrows down the good shops, and has some sort of recommendation.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bureau of Automotive repair should test all shops on their skill levels, and be held accountable. If a repair goes south, they should be fined, not just when a customer makes a complaint and wins a case. It would sure cut down the hack shops operating. Sorta like thinking twice parking your car in the handicap spot. $284.00 ticket makes you think twice!

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
so after some time in the shop it has been determined to have jumped time. I was told about 2k to fix that including labor. I'm opting for a new crate engine with 3yr unlimited mile warranty.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK first question, how many miles on vehicle? Second, is your vehicle in good condition and worth throwing 2k plus at? Timing chains don't jump unless either super high mileage and worn out, or a tensioner has failed. A 2004 expedition is worth about $4,000 to $5,000 in very good condition. Any time a chain/ belt gives way, on an engine, its a bit of a gamble. In the past V8 push rod engines like 5.0/5.8 engines had more clearance between valves and pistons. Personally I'd opt for the reman engine, that way your not gambling with a possible valve interference issue. Just my 2 cents!

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
165k on truck and it is in great shape. I live in Arkansas so there is little to no salt very little rust anywhere.

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
I have a motor on the way. wanted to opt for a more modified but cant afford at the moment so ill stick with stock. still gonna be nice to drive it again.

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
yall have been a great help and i thank you. now on to my sons car and daughters truck.lol

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How was it determined that the timing was off? Did you see the how it was determined?

So what i have is a 04 expy and was driving fine. I came home and shut it off. Couple hours later it just cranks. I went to the internet to trouble shoot .has spark. No fuel pressure. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump relay fuse box.no luck .continued to look.

1) How does it jump time with what you posted originally?

2) You would still have fuel pressure even if out of time.

Jumped time - prove it on a scope - cam to crank timing on both banks. Known good waveforms are available for that engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
no I didn't but it was not firing in the correct order from what the mechanic said. he said it was popping back threw the intake. also said there was little to no compression