3 to 6 week storage prep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to be away for a few weeks. And will have the expy parked for up to 6 weeks. Outside of a float charger for the battery what do I need to do to prep for parking

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the fluids are up to the correct level and able to handle the coming cold blasts. If you can I'd pull the battery and store inside where it will be warmer. Park so that if it needs to be towed it will be easy for a tow truck to get to.
Remove anything that will freeze.
This is from the trucking days, leave the parking brake off, to keep it from freezing to the drum/rotor.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what float charger or tender are you going with? im ending my 6 month deployment soon and wife let my battery die and have been looking for a tender since i will be leaving in march to korea for a year...not coming home to another dead battery...and the battery i want is $300

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a float charger yet but if I am going to un hook it I can just charge it then leave it for that time frame. room temp the battery would be fine for up to two plus mos. the fluids are all fresh and 50/50 antifreeze is fresh.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need a tender...garage not heated and gets cold in winter in VA...nothing drastic but could see lows in the 20s...teens even in the winter time

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
in that case I would definitely keep the batt indoors or someplace warm. nothing worse than an dead battery that's also frozen. I know a bit about lead acid batteries and that's about as bad as they can be treated. my girlfriend has killed two less than a year old batteries in the winter of '13/'14 from leaving headlights on.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll visit back in July...and need truck to start right up...again in december to spend christmas in florida...so i need to keep the charge on the battery...thinking about getting a cheap batter until i get back from korea...idk

Ripp

Reaction score
I have a couple of battery tenders they have never failed me yet . motorcycles are stored in a shed all winter long and have yet to replace a battery cuz of it sitting and or cold winter. I'm in new jersey. If you get 1 I would get the water proof 1.

Last edited: