99 Expo Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firecapt321

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I heard this was the place for some expo help. I have a 99 Expedition xlt, with a 4.6. 300+k miles. Was driving the other day and it shut off like I had just turned off the key at 60mph. Had it towed back to the house. It's been a couple days and just now got a chance to look at it today, came out and it cranked right up: /. I am getting code p1450. Something to do with fuel evap system. Could this have caused my sudden shut off at highway speed? Thanks for any and all help. Jp Also getting p0401 and p0308.

OP
OP
F

firecapt321

Reaction score
Handy enough to get myself in trouble. Lol .......I should be able to handle it if I can just get a more defined idea where I am headed. ;)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The p1450 code is basically the fuel system is creating a vacuum in the fuel tank. Could be a faulty vent solenoid or harness problem.

The p0401 may be caused by blocked egr passages, rotted vac lines to the pressure sensor or egr valve.

The p0308 could be a plug, wire or coil problem or any combination.

The fuel tank isn't that bad to drop as long as it is empty. The other two are basically maintenance issues for the amount of mileage. How many miles are on the fuel pump (it isn't a current problem but if it is old and your dropping the tank......)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firecapt321

Reaction score
Damn, just filled the tank up and no, never replaced fuel the fuel pump before. Where is the canister and vent solenoid etc located?

OP
OP
F

firecapt321

Reaction score
Ok so I need to clean the egr ports and possibly replace the egr. And check the hoses. Will take care of the #8 issues. Now what about the tank vacuum issue? I have read an elbow fitting can be clogged. Can I clean that canister out? Any way to test the vent selenoid? Is it located on top of the canister or fuel tank itself?

OP
OP
F

firecapt321

Reaction score
Have some time today to try and chase down this evap issue p1450 code. Is it normal on this vehicle when idling, to remove the gas cap and get a serious vacuum release (whoosh) then the engine tries to die.

OP
OP
F

firecapt321

Reaction score
Any chance this points to any certain faulty device? Or is it still possibly any number of issues in the fuel vacuum system?