Average MPG computer sticking on 7-9 MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodville

Reaction score
I know this seems weird but my average MPG computer in the overhead console seems to stick on anywhere between 7 to 9 mpg. If I reset it stopped it won't budge off of the number its stuck on. If I reset on the highway it goes to 22 or whatever and moves between numbers as I speed up / slow down. But if I stop at a light it will slowly drop to 9 and stay there no matter the speed. If I drive slow enough it will drop to 7 and stick. It will stick at any number in-between 7 and 9 on whatever number its on when I stop. I have never seen it below 7. Is it the module its self or does it get its info from the main computer? The miles till empty seems to be unaffected as does the compass. Its just the mpg that is off. Would it be worth taking it out to replace capacitors in it or whatever or would replacing it with a j/y unit fix it? Does anyone know?

1999 expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 auto 4x4.

-thanks.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wondering if that's what the truck was actually doing.

OP
OP
Rodville

Rodville

Reaction score
Just wondering if that's what the truck was actually doing.

The truck is getting an average of 12 mpg according to fuelly and between 10-15 average mpg when using the Bluetooth OBD-II dongle and the Torque app on my android tablet. So I am fairly sure its a problem with the display itself as the Torque app gets its data from the BCM as does the display in question. The display stops moving when it hits 7-9 MPG and it should still update even if that is the correct MPG and t's not.

Sorry for the delay in replying I had the alternator give out and I had to make sure to get that fixed before this.