Caution: engine will stall rolling backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCAWI

Reaction score
I totaled out my 2014 on my driveway. There was about 1/2" of snow and the driveway is steep. I was testing for traction so I stopped to see how slippery it was. I rolled backwards in drive a short distance and the engine quit. Of course no more power steering, or brakes and no engine power to drive forward. It would have been an easy save since it was in 4 wheel drive. Off the side and into a tree I went. The insurance company totaled it. I'm going to contact Ford an see if its designed into the PCM to shut the engine off to save the trans or some other reason.

I wanted to share here and maybe keep someone else from having this happen to them!

I have an auto repair shop and do a lot of transmission work, and I don't know of a reason why the trans could kill the engine. Its just a fluid coupling and lock-up shouldn't come on at that low speed.
I also have an Escape and tested it with that and it also kills rolling backwards. I read Toyotas and Mercedes will also.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a fuel pump shutoff that shuts the engine if the truck slips.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I totaled out my 2014 on my driveway. There was about 1/2" of snow and the driveway is steep. I was testing for traction so I stopped to see how slippery it was. I rolled backwards in drive a short distance and the engine quit. Of course no more power steering, or brakes and no engine power to drive forward. It would have been an easy save since it was in 4 wheel drive. Off the side and into a tree I went. The insurance company totaled it. I'm going to contact Ford an see if its designed into the PCM to shut the engine off to save the trans or some other reason.

I wanted to share here and maybe keep someone else from having this happen to them!

I have an auto repair shop and do a lot of transmission work, and I don't know of a reason why the trans could kill the engine. Its just a fluid coupling and lock-up shouldn't come on at that low speed.
I also have an Escape and tested it with that and it also kills rolling backwards. I read Toyotas and Mercedes will also.

Thats messed up.

On a side note, why did you keep doing that with your vehicles, trying for a class action or something???

PS shoulda stomped the park/ebrake and tossed shifter into park ... probably wouldnt save you from bumper damage considering how notoriously weak the park brake is, but mightve avoided totalling the thing

Is there a way to disable that pice of junk?

Ive had it trip on mine for no reason whatsoever twice already

Seems crazy dangerous and ultimately pointless

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why it's there. At least over the past 20 years or so, theirs a lot less horrible fires that consume life if trapped in a crashed vehicle. No offense but testing for traction by rolling back is kinda dumb. Why not buy a 4wheel drive Ford pickup with a 5 speed manual! That's what manual clutches are for. Makes me glad I live just outside San Francisco, never snows, rarely gets below 38 degrees. You mid west and east coast boy's can keep your extreme weather swings. Past week has been 68-75 degrees here. Think I'll test my expedition on the dirt hill here at Lake Merced, second thought not!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of the inertial switch that shuts the fuel off it the vehicle rolls over or takes a hard enough hit, but I have never heard of a switch that shuts off the fuel flow if the vehicle is sliding. That would prevent you from gaining control of the vehicle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe it shuts down fuel flow to avoid fuel ignition if rolling back into another vehicle, or object. Does seem kinda dumb though. When rolling back in drive, that's the time you need your motor more than ever. I'd sure like to hear from one of you from Ford on this forum, why this is so.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
So...you have a driveway at what? A 30% grade? You can steer and use brakes if engine stalls, just no power assist. You also have a parking brake. Why would you allow it to "roll" backwards, to "test it". It says in owners manual "do not hold vehicle, on hill with the transmission. Damage can result". Testing for traction on a steep hill, with trees at the bottom is pretty dumb. Then you try it with an other vehicle? Wow! You are the reason we all pay too much for insurance. Avoidable one car accidents. This sounds like the next "we seen it all" Farmers Insurance commercial.