Choosing a good exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Figured I'd just start a new thread on this.
I'm trying to build/buy a new exhaust for my 2006 5.4 3v. I had a magnaflow catback with stock cats and headers on my previous 03 and it sounded pretty good.
I'm looking to probably get the same magnaflow catback for my 06 but after that I'm not sure what I want to get or have built.
I would love to replace the cats as well... I know doing that I would need to get the drivers and passengers side but do I just get any old set from rockauto? I think the brand I looked at was Walker they had both left and right sides cats for a decent price.

If I could I would love to run only one cat but I don't think that's possible with the O2 sensors? Once again this is really my first time tacking catalytic converters so I'm slightly in the dark here.
I want a good somewhat loud tone but I want to retain performance or maybe even gain performance of i could. I don't really want to do a muffler delete because that's not the sound I want;
So basically my question is, with the magnaflow catback and stock headers what should I do about the cats to get a good loud sound and keep the trucks performance level optimal?
Any suggestions are really appreciated!
Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can run 2 cats and remove 2 since they come with 4 cats...I have Flowmaster and love the sound and drone noise...most mufflers brands offer cats as well...since u want to be loud u might have to do a dump...u can also go glasspacks

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can run 2 cats and remove 2 since they come with 4 cats...I have Flowmaster and love the sound and drone noise...most mufflers brands offer cats as well...since u want to be loud u might have to do a dump...u can also go glasspacks

Mr. 10K

Looking underneath my truck right now though it looks to have 4 O2 sensors and only 2 cats... Up near the flange to connects to the manifold it has an O2 sensor on each side then further back it has 2 cats (one on each side) and those have O2 sensors plugging into them.. Maybe it isn't actually a stock setup? And how would I dump it just slice the tip off near the spare tire like jeeps do?

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean mine have a lot of surface rust on them but they look almost exactly like these from Evan Fischer ....1fcd41b24fdca66cc1b0681eb04282f6.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound like delete was already done...the "dump" to my knowledge...anyone can correct me if I'm wrong...there isn't a muffler at all...it's cut right after the cats and the tubing points down...super loud

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting... So since they seem to only have surface rust and no damage maybe I'll just keep the cats on there for now... And oh yeah I've heard those lol muffler delete is REAL loud... Not sure if that's how hard I want to go or not... Might get the magnaflow catback and put that on with the current stock headers and my 2 cats and see how that sounds to me...

Now that I think about it my expy seems a bit louder than my buddies expeditions both have stock exhausts and I "thought" mine was stock

Maloburro

Reaction score
For some reason I think flow masters sound really good on ford v8s. If you're going to have a shop fab you something dual side exits would be cool. Gladspacks are better for that setup. I'm not sure how they would sound but I remember side exit glasspacksnsound killer on an old 440 dodge, Ac cobra, corvette, etc.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason I think flow masters sound really good on ford v8s. If you're going to have a shop fab you something dual side exits would be cool. Gladspacks are better for that setup. I'm not sure how they would sound but I remember side exit glasspacksnsound killer on an old 440 dodge, Ac cobra, corvette, etc.
Hmm.. Not a bad option, so far I'm leaning towards just a brand name catback system like magna or flow... My 03 had the magnaflow and sounded pretty good but just wasn't quite as loud as I would have liked.
Flowmaster says moderate/mild tone all over theirs so idk if that's where I'll head either.. We'll see