Cleaning help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zarga

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips to clean a sticky shift knob and seat heater button? One of my beloved children spilled Sprite all over the center console and some dash buttons. I tried to clean it up right away, but a few days later the shifter got really sticky when I tried turning it, and I noticed tonight that the seat heater button is also sticky. The service tech put some Windex in the knob and it's a bit better, but still not quite right. I was told the knob can't be removed to be cleaned; they'd have to replace the whole section for approx $400 (p&l). That seems odd to me, but I really have no idea.

Thanks for any help.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm knobs and buttons are a tricky thing to clean especially if there is soda like in your case that can continue to resurface. In my experience a bottle of dish soap and water should do the truck of you soak the area that was affected. Just be careful be you of course don't want to damage and electrical components. If that doesn't work go to your local auto part store and see if they have any thing for your situation. I know of a all purpose cleaner that might do the trick or even magic eraser. The cleaner in the photo did a great job on clean up a lot of the plastic in the truck.3dc6898209bcb8fe5968f5ed9ac945e4.jpg82eb97511b1d3b92cd7cea8ee334f2cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dam, some years ago spilled a Starbucks Carmel Macciato (sp??) in my Audi (crappy German cupholders) two days later shifter was gummed up and could not depress the then thumb release. Had to take the whole console apart to clean. as there were mechanical bits and an non seen surface finishes used brake cleaner. On the visible portions of the shifter used a boat load of windex.

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
I suggest training your children to clean it. Or get a generic spray bottle from your local hardware store (or re-purpose one just make sure you wash it out good) get 4 or 5 drops of DAWN dish soap (dawn works the best dunno why) into the bottle add hot water,set it to the mist , do not saturate anything, let sit, viola! vacuum up with shopvac or wipe away, also works great on carpets.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest training your children to clean it. Or get a generic spray bottle from your local hardware store (or re-purpose one just make sure you wash it out good) get 4 or 5 drops of DAWN dish soap (dawn works the best dunno why) into the bottle add hot water,set it to the mist , do not saturate anything, let sit, viola! vacuum up with shopvac or wipe away, also works great on carpets.
I clean cars as a side job dish soap is my best friend highly recommend OP to try this method.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have dad good luck with WD40 on cruise control and other switches that were not working. Spray the control with a good amount of WD40 and then work them manually. Repeat this. You can wrap some rags around to avoid getting the spray all over. Let me know if it works.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will work on this while everyone is in camp this week.