Expy won't crank, buzzing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I found out what it was.

Apparently, one of the relays, more specifically the PCM relay, had burnt/melted plastic around one of the center prongs.

We went out, bought another one, put it in, and it started right up.

I'm hoping that this is just a one time deal, though I'm always worried when anything electrical burns.

I didn't notice any water around the fuse area, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for any help. Now to tackle the rear end. :D

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, it was weird. Even when the relay was pulled out, it would still chatter, but it would stop when it put it back in (the burnt one.) As in, if the relay was out, and you turned the key, it would still make the sound.

Still, he figured we might as well replace it since it looked burnt, and it worked.

So maybe the chatter was something else? Maybe a warning buzzer? But at least it starts now :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up, but it happened again. This time, though I know why it did what it did.

According to this, the early build 2003 Expys had a bad Central Junction Box (the fuse box) design, causing the PCM relay to burn out, among other things.

I took my box apart (before I had found the above link) since the Expy just shut off on me one day while driving, and the buzzing started. Replacing the PCM relay didn't do anything. Had to get it towed to my place.

This is what I found when I opened up the box:
Bottom
IMGA0319.jpg

Top - the dark, horizontal
IMGA0314.jpg

Here's a little diagram I made
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/Jjokin3much/PCMrelay.jpg

It is prong number 5 that is burnt out in the board.

According to the link, I need to order part 3L1Z-14A068-AA (for vehicles before build date 2/3/03). You need part number 3L7Z-14A068-AB for vehicles after 2/3/03.

I'll hopefully be replacing it tomorrow, so hopefully it'll start. *fingers crossed*:D

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still working?

Hi,

Is it still working?

The exact same thing just happened to me.

I've actually had the PCM and the fusebox replaced before, so I'm wondering if the box was replaced with the wrong build-date version. For my VIN, I'm pretty sure I need the later model of the fuse box.

Just curious to do check that this really did resolve the issue for you. If so, I'll order it and replace it.

Also, where did you order it from?

Thanks,

Alex

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's still working. I would have bought it at tascaparts.com since they had the cheapest price, but I couldn't wait on the shipping time, so I ended up looking around for dealers in the state. Found one that was mderately priced, and talked him down to 235 when I told him I had found it cheaper at another dealer. I had my friend pick it up and I installed it later that day.

MSRP is around 300 dollars, while tasca has it for around 200 + shipping. I think their shipping is 10-15 for standard shipping. I think they're located in Rhode Island, so factor that in to shipping time.

Here's their link: http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213668

Enter the part numbers in the "OEM Automotive parts" and choose Ford. I'm sure you could also call them, give them your VIN, just to be sure they're giving you the right one.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have the part number of the CJB (fuse box) they put in yours, would you? Does it still burn out the PCM relay?

Last edited:

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great news.

I just pulled it out and it's 3L1Z-14A067-AA. One of my neighbours pulled it from a truck in his cousin's junkyard, and it was free, so I'm not complaining about the couple of months use I got from it at 0 cost.

Also, it turns out that when the broken one before that was put in one of the connections on the underside from put in wrongly and broke it, so really there were two original breaks. That time it needed a new PCM as well.

This time I'm hoping it's just the fuse box itself, and not the PCM too.

If I look on the Ford Motorparts site for my VIN and the CJB it says I need a 14A068, but doesn't specify whether it is the -AA, or -AB version. Ford officially has it for $293, but I've seen as low as $250.

Any ideas how I can find the build date?

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look on the door sticker, near the "top" of the sticker, it should say a date. Mine says 02/02, so mine was a really early model.