Factory battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From Interstate Battery:

1. Turn Off the Security System to Save Your Battery​

If your car has a security system and is parked in a secure garage, consider leaving the alarm off. If you do leave it on, it will only drain your battery faster. If you must park outside with the alarm on, drive the vehicle for at least 30 minutes at highway speeds every few days to refresh the battery with a little charge.

2. Charge the Battery Weekly by Driving The car For At Least 30 Minutes
When your car sits, the battery still powers all of the memory stored for the various computer systems. While this battery drain may not seem like a lot, it adds up over time and may drain your battery to where it may not crank the engine.

To keep your battery charged, you must drive the vehicle once a week for at least 30 minutes at a time at highway speeds to ensure the battery gets the boost it needs.

You may think that short trips to the store are enough to keep your battery from dying, but it requires a little more effort to keep your car battery healthy.

3. Connect a trickle charger to preserve your battery.
Many accessories in your car—like clocks, computers and security alarms—draw power from your battery when your car is off.

Suppose you plan to let your car sit for an extended period, like going on a long vacation. In that case, you can use a trickle charger to help preserve the life of your battery and avoid any headaches when you return. All you have to do is plug it into the wall to keep your battery primed and ready to go.

Consider getting a memory maintainer, so you don't completely wipe the memory.

4. Get A Portable Jump-Starter
A rechargeable jump-starter is another option that you can use to jump a dead battery without the hassle of involving another car.

Ensure you don't get stranded by a dead battery by disconnecting the security system, driving the car regularly or buying a jump-starter to keep in your car.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me, if there’s not an obvious problem (drain, alternator issue, etc.) I’d change the battery. It’s a relatively cheap potential fix. As people note, batteries don’t last forever.

If the vehicle starts having electrical problems (described above), then go straight to the battery. It gives a good baseline to start troubleshooting anything else, which could become quite expensive and time consuming.

Even if you don’t drive it often (every other week), there should be no need for a trickle charger.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A long thread on this subject over on another car site I frequent where knowledgeable car people from all over the country chimed in. You would think that batteries in cold climates, where they have to work harder would not last as long, but the opposite is true, battery life in warm / hot climates is approximately 1/3 less.

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the Ford Manual after the battery replacement it says to use a scan tool and do the battery Monitoring System reset after battery is connected. Necessary? What if I have no scan tool? I don't .

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you think nothing is actually wrong? I drive around town daily, short trips, running kids around and to different work locations. Then 30 min drives 2-3 times a week. We jumped it and it ran for 5 min or so this morning around 8:00 then by noon it wouldn't start, but it tried.

And thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here despite kicking at my Expy every time I walk by it today.
@JessOTR
Short trips don't allow the battery to charge adequately, if the 30 min drives 2-3 times a week are highway trips then you "might" have some issues going on.
If it was my vehicle I would probably replace the battery at this point. I just don't like not trusting my ride to start when I run my errands! Then buy that trickle charger and charge it every couple of weeks. Many newer cars, including our Expeditions, really use the battery if it sits for any length of time. Hopefully, others can chime in if they feel the expense of a new battery isn't necessary. FYI, I would also turn off the Auto Start Stop feature whenever you drive. I believe it is a feature that does more harm then good and is a further drain on your battery. Good luck and hope you get this figured out and can begin to enjoy your ride as much as I do mine.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next month wee going on a 3500 mile driving getaway. 2019 limited.53k miles. No problems with anything. Now I’m wondering if I should just change cuz.
If you have the original battery, I would change it, cheap insurance. When I change batteries in our vehicles, I try to move up to the next CCA rating.

On 2011 - 2017 Expedition the OEM battery is BXT-65-750 and I went to BXT-65-850 on both of mine.

I have always stayed with Motorcraft batteries although others would argue against that.

At the end of the day I think there is only about 4 battery manufacturers left in the US so in most cases the only difference between brands is the label.

JessOTR

Reaction score
@JessOTR
Short trips don't allow the battery to charge adequately, if the 30 min drives 2-3 times a week are highway trips then you "might" have some issues going on.
If it was my vehicle I would probably replace the battery at this point. I just don't like not trusting my ride to start when I run my errands! Then buy that trickle charger and charge it every couple of weeks. Many newer cars, including our Expeditions, really use the battery if it sits for any length of time. Hopefully, others can chime in if they feel the expense of a new battery isn't necessary. FYI, I would also turn off the Auto Start Stop feature whenever you drive. I believe it is a feature that does more harm then good and is a further drain on your battery. Good luck and hope you get this figured out and can begin to enjoy your ride as much as I do mine.
Ok thank you. We will be taking it in to a shop we trust in the morning to have it checked out, but I think a new battery is going up be a forgone conclusion. We leave for a 10 hour trip through some pretty desolate areas next weekend. I don't want to risk getting stranded!

I HATE auto stop/start. I try to remember to turn it off every time I drive. I realize now that it has been turning itself off thanks to not enough battery charge.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the Ford Manual after the battery replacement it says to use a scan tool and do the battery Monitoring System reset after battery is connected. Necessary? What if I have no scan tool? I don't .
I believe the battery management system monitors battery state of health and state of charge. If you install a new battery and don't reset the system it will think the old battery is still in there so you want to reset it. Here is what my manual says (no scan tool needed):

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813-183736.png
    Screenshot_20230813-183736.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 50

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the battery management system monitors battery state of health and state of charge. If you install a new battery and don't reset the system it will think the old battery is still in there so you want to reset it. Here is what my manual says (no scan tool needed):

Good point and very important step. BMW has had it for a long time where you have to enter ALL the battery specs.
It helps them last longer by changing the charge rate.

Failing to reset the computer or programming in the new battery, if applicable, will kill the battery quickly.

bobward757

Reaction score
2019. 120K. No battery issues but replacing as normal maintenance.

Ford’s battery supplier is same but changed owners and corporate badging.

I usually get East Penn batteries but the 94 series AGM is the lowest rated battery EP makes sadly