Factory battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JessOTR

Reaction score
I had hoped to join the forum for fun stuff, but alas. I just bought a 2021 with 40k miles about a month ago. This week, I noticed "deep sleep mode" on the app but no other symptoms. I took it to Auto Zone. They told me the battery tested good but needed a charge. Took it to a local mechanic (at closing time on Friday) who quickly checked and said the alternator seemed to be charging and everything looked okay, but bring it back if something came up. Didn't drive it yesterday and it wouldn't start last night.

I'm a non-car knowledgeable girl but can follow simple instructions. Searching around there seem to be '21 F150s with known drain issues, and a service bulletin, but I'm not finding much on the Expys. Any ideas? Battery still bad on a 2 year old truck despite what Auto Zone says? (July 2021 build date)? Some accessory not turning off (can't see anything)? Some wire or relay not functioning properly?
Just an update on me: all the local shops are booked a week out. We decided just to change the battery and see. Got back to AutoZone and the guy that tested it this time said it showed the battery dead dead dead. I don't know if the young guy put in the wrong parameters for my battery or what. The old battery was a 750 cold crank and this one is 850. Everything seems back in order now!

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I recently was thinking I needed a new battery in the spring. I drive fairly short trips but this is the original battery. Purchased at 50k now 63k without non start issues. I put it in my battery minder charger which does some desulfination of the battery when left on for more than 24 hours. Now I am back to switching off my auto start stop and my door locks work. Only did that once for like 48 hours a month or more ago and it has been fine since. Pretty sure it will go sometime but this has bought me a few more months. When I measured after full charge I was at 12.7 volts. Should be up in the 13s I think. Good enough for me for now. This is the charger I used. I like it for a lot of different things.

BatteryMINDer Model 1500CEC1B: 12Volt-1.5 Amp Battery Charger Maintenance Charger/Desulfator with Push-Button Battery Indicator - Designed for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV, Boat, RV, etc. https://a.co/d/b7NIcCc

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update on me: all the local shops are booked a week out. We decided just to change the battery and see. Got back to AutoZone and the guy that tested it this time said it showed the battery dead dead dead. I don't know if the young guy put in the wrong parameters for my battery or what. The old battery was a 750 cold crank and this one is 850. Everything seems back in order now!
Autozone cant be trusted. I wouldnt let them install a battery or provide one as well. I doubt they would know how to reset the battery monitor

JessOTR

Reaction score
Autozone cant be trusted. I wouldnt let them install a battery or provide one as well. I doubt they would know how to reset the battery monitor
I understand that they are not techs or anything. The older guy we saw today has been there forever and we've dealt with him before. I tried resetting the battery monitor myself per the instructions upthread. My battery light started blinking before I got to the part where I hit the brakes. Not sure if it worked or not but that's why I'm on here now. ETA: just watched a video. I wasn't waiting long enough after doing the procedure to see the icon blink. It's longer than you think it should be.

Last edited:

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
For what its worth, I just bought this charger and put it on my '21 Navigator (battery just hit 2 years). After being hooked up for ~4 hours, the light finally went green showing it's 80% charged. This was after a drive on the freeway for about 45 min. I'm convinced these just don't get fully charged if they're not driven for long distances consistently, so I'll be alternating use between this and my expedition a couple times a month. Battery in my expedition is about 2 years old now as well, so hoping this will maximize the life!

OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Is anyone Here for or against Walmart batteries? The Costcos near me don’t have in stock. This battery from Walmart actually comes with a 4 year warranty according to the description.

Everstart Platinum AGM battery (Group Size H7)

Price is about the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Is anyone Here for or against Walmart batteries? The Costcos near me don’t have in stock. This battery from Walmart actually comes with a 4 year warranty according to the description.

Price is about the same.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Price is about the same.
I have had good luck with Walmart batteries - never had a problem. Usually go with the Maxx or Platinum (AGM). If/when I have to change it on this truck, the one you noted is exactly what I'd go with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire