Ford Expedition Factory Remote Start Anti-Theft Conflict

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsl4evr

Reaction score
The factory remote start in my 2012 Expedition EL Limited is not functioning. When I press the remote start, the car goes through the typical process but never turns over or cranks. After this, the anti-theft light blinks rapidly.

I've attempted the 2 key reprogramming method to no avail. I'm able to use the remote start when I hold one of my keys close to the ignition.

I am able to use the remote start when holding my regular ignition clear near the steering wheel.

The remote start is a ford factory one,maxresdefault.jpg and is not the same unit as the key.

I've read there is possibly an antenna wire in the PATS system that has failed. Is this a possibility?

Dealership is saying they want to replace the whole system. Yikes!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a stupid question, but did you try changing the battery i the remote to see if it works? Maybe it is a very weak signal. It's just a guess. Or the transponder in the remote start key isn't programmed with the same code as the receiver. Just random thoughts.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a stupid question, but did you try changing the battery i the remote to see if it works? Maybe it is a very weak signal. It's just a guess. Or the transponder in the remote start key isn't programmed with the same code as the receiver. Just random thoughts.

That's not a stupid question, Andy. It's a very good idea.

OP
OP
R

rsl4evr

Reaction score
I don't think it's an issue with the battery in the remote, as I have two remote start fobs like the one pictured and they both activate the cars remote start but don't deactivate the anti theft portion of the system. Although I guess it's possible they're both low batteries? Why would it work enough to get the car ready to start, but not enough to authenticate with the anti theft?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since it works correctly when another key with a chip is near the antenna the problem is how the remote start is validated through the pats system.

OP
OP
R

rsl4evr

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well.

I watched this video as I was getting the same issue that was shown.

I tried reprogramming them to no avail.

Has the transponder ring possibly failed? It seems odd that my car keys would still work if it did.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've read a few articles concerning your issue. It seems there may be a pats bypass module used in the remote start system that is having issues. I don't have wiring diagrams to verify this unfortunately.

Did the dealer give you an estimate on fixing it?

Although the link is for upto 2010 remote start programming, is this the procedure you followed?

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/f...ssory_files/Ford Programming Instructions.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rsl4evr

Reaction score
Dealer wants to replace the whole system, which is believe is there way of making me pay more when they could just fix it.

I followed the steps in the video I linked which simply using my regular programmed car keys. I put each one in, switched them to on, then pressed the remote start transmitter.

The PDF you linked is different, but I figure I'll give it a shot. I'll have to take under dash cover off and see.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rsl4evr, did I read somewhere that you had a locksmith make a key for you? I tried to find the comment above but I couldn't see it. If you did, this is just a thought. If a locksmith make a clone of your original key, then you don't have two unique keys. You have two of the same key and if that is the case, the programming will not work because you need two unique keys. It is just a thought but I thought that I read it somewhere on here. I could be hallucinating, it's happened before. :)

See if you have to real Ford keys with the logo on it. If it is a clone the truck thinks you have one key so it can't go into programming mode and it could be that simple.

OP
OP
R

rsl4evr

Reaction score
I haven't had a locksmith make a key for me, so I think you might be remembering someone else post