Fuel filter resistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the fuel system, obviously pressurized,
the fuel filter seems to provide resistance to the line

does it come before or after the pressure regulator?

im thinking of a cheap way to get more life out of my fuel pump by eliminating some of the resistance of the filter
what are your thoughts?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The filter is before the regulator.

I’d just install a clean filter instead of trying to re-engineer the fuel system.

Without a filter, any potential debris will go to the injectors where it may pass through or may not.

Replacing a pump isn’t really that hard.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The filter is before the regulator.

I’d just install a clean filter instead of trying to re-engineer the fuel system.

Without a filter, any potential debris will go to the injectors where it may pass through or may not.

Replacing a pump isn’t really that hard.

yeah i dont have the tools or the space

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have the tools or space for changing a fuel pump? But you have the space to redesign the system. It takes all of 10 minutes and what $7.00 to buy a filter, and slap it on every 40k. You pull the fuel pump relay, start it up till it dies, push in the wacky Ford clamps, new filter done. A bonus, if you hate one of your neighbors, walk the loaded fuel filter over to their garden/lawn, and let her rip! Roses don't grow so well with 89 octane!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have the tools or space for changing a fuel pump? But you have the space to redesign the system. It takes all of 10 minutes and what $7.00 to buy a filter, and slap it on every 40k. You pull the fuel pump relay, start it up till it dies, push in the wacky Ford clamps, new filter done. A bonus, if you hate one of your neighbors, walk the loaded fuel filter over to their garden/lawn, and let her rip! Roses don't grow so well with 89 octane!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

no, im not crawling under all that ford steel up on jackstands.
that just seems dumb. but, stupid is as stupid does. rather get creative with ramps or dugouts.

no point in replacing the filter, i know how these old things work.
you make one little change and it turns into many!
putting a new filter will likely increase pressure that never used to be there... she is well aged, and holding together still, with no funny man business touching her insides.
the evap and main fuel lines would likely not withstand the new filter well. i would imagine, something along this pressurized system to be brittle. some plastic/rubber component which would probably fail under the new pressure within 100 or so miles.
idk

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that pump has to be changed, there is no going around it. most pumps dont like sitting in volatile explosives for 20 YEARS STRAIGHT. :pepper:
thats right. 2019 is the magic number for her!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don’t have the tools to change the pump? But you can remove the filter, fab up a new piece of fuel line that is the length of the filter, flare the ends so it locks in and install it?

Sounds like you have all the answers. We should probably be asking you all these questions.

Ah crap! I just changed the oil and filter in my 2000 with 247k miles. Probably shouldn’t have done that. All that new oil on such an old engine. I should have created a filter bypass and continued to run the old oil. Stupid me.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing is going to break, just change the fuel filter and be done with it. You don't want to get dirty then wait until the fuel pump craps out and just have it done by a mechanic. Don't see the issue. I would advise having a AAA tow policy in place while owning a first gen Expedition for piece of mind. My fuel pump went out a couple months ago. I just paid my mechanic to do it as I didn't want to be bothered with it. All perfect now. I own several vehicles (new) but the expy gets used the most.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk