Heated and cooled seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got in the truck this morning and smashed the cooled button and it worked fine for my entire ride (that I noticed). It seems only the heaters have an issue but when the issue occurs, it effects the cool side too.
Ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
Expedition cooled and heated seats failed (DSCM)

I had the same issue on a 2011. Press the button for heat on either of the front seats and the light would go on and immediately go out. I checked the fuse, looked at the Ford shop manual, checked online forums, and realized it was beyond my capability to diagnose. I also saw that the DSCM would require programming that can only be done at the dealer so I took it in. The dealer found the power connector (12 pin pigtail) to the DSCM was burned as was the corresponding pin in the DSCM so I had to have both replaced. (I have the old DSCM and can easily see the burned pin now.) So, 2.5 hours of labor and a new DSCM and pigtail, my wife has her heated seats back. If you're paying full list for the parts (which I did not), expect to pay about $600 for the repair depending on your local labor rate. This is a common problem and these heated/cooled seats are a revenue source for the dealers. If it goes out again I will not be repairing it. The pigtail part number is 3U2Z-14S411-ZMB and the DSCM (has multiple Ford and Lincoln applications) was 9U5Z-14C724-B.

Last edited:

Gamecock

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great.....mine just started exhibiting the exact same behavior this morning (button light on, then immediately out). What a pain in the ass.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great.....mine just started exhibiting the exact same behavior this morning (button light on, then immediately out). What a pain in the ass.

Yes it is but its a bigger PITA when you have no idea what year expy a person is referring to. Have no idea what year yours is but others in this thread are ranging from 2007 to 2011 and ford is well known for making changes in electrical systems from one year to another

Gamecock

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is but its a bigger PITA when you have no idea what year expy a person is referring to. Have no idea what year yours is but others in this thread are ranging from 2007 to 2011 and ford is well known for making changes in electrical systems from one year to another

Mine is a '07 EL Eddie Bauer

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue on a 2011. Press the button for heat on either of the front seats and the light would go on and immediately go out. I checked the fuse, looked at the Ford shop manual, checked online forums, and realized it was beyond my capability to diagnose. I also saw that the DSCM would require programming that can only be done at the dealer so I took it in. The dealer found the power connector (12 pin pigtail) to the DSCM was burned as was the corresponding pin in the DSCM so I had to have both replaced. (I have the old DSCM and can easily see the burned pin now.) So, 2.5 hours of labor and a new DSCM and pigtail, my wife has her heated seats back. If you're paying full list for the parts (which I did not), expect to pay about $600 for the repair depending on your local labor rate. This is a common problem and these heated/cooled seats are a revenue source for the dealers. If it goes out again I will not be repairing it. The pigtail part number is 3U2Z-14S411-ZMB and the DSCM (has multiple Ford and Lincoln applications) was 9U5Z-14C724-B.

It's too late now, but this is actually the most common problem with these seats on the 3rd gens and is easily fixed. The replacement pigtail runs what appears to be 2 grounds (as opposed to one on the original) and you should be able to reach it without removing the seat. 3U2Z-14S411-ZMB is $33 from Rock Auto; 9U5Z-14C724-B is ~$200 from various sources. I'd probably just source the module from a junkyard as it is typically the pigtail that takes out the module.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
Heated & cooled seats

It's too late now, but this is actually the most common problem with these seats on the 3rd gens and is easily fixed. The replacement pigtail runs what appears to be 2 grounds (as opposed to one on the original) and you should be able to reach it without removing the seat. 3U2Z-14S411-ZMB is $33 from Rock Auto; 9U5Z-14C724-B is ~$200 from various sources. I'd probably just source the module from a junkyard as it is typically the pigtail that takes out the module.

After the fact I found this link navigator: heated seats lights come on for a few seconds and then goes that talks to the extra ground. My connector was smoked at Pin M and the DCSM showed corresponding burn damage. Since I took it to the dealer I don't know if the old DSCM would have worked with the new connector. I still would have ended up at the dealer to get it programmed, though for a lot less than the 2.5 hrs they charged for the repair. I paid $40 for the pigtail and $218 for the DSCM. Hopefully the added ground will prevent the same type failure. If I had it to do over I would have replaced the pigtail, tried it with the existing DSCM and if that failed, I would have gone on a junkyard search.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealership called me and stated that they are replacing the module on mine for the second time in 6 months. They're also replacing the seat track and the memory module for the seat. These seats are more trouble than they're than effin' worth. :/