HELP! 04 expy 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuitCat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just sold my 2004 ford expedition with the 5.4
2 days later the guy calls me and says that when he pulled into his drive, the low oil pressure warning came on, then went away. And then there was a slight rattling noise. ( only rattles sometimes ) But isn't there always a slight rattle to the 5.4? It's always had a slight rattle for the last 50k+ miles. Doesn't seem to affect anything. But I just need to make sure. It was serviced not 800 miles ago! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No all 5.4 engines do Not rattle.what oil was put in it last service? Either they didn't change your oil filter and its cluged, engine is guncky (dried/ old oil). Or the screen on the oil pump is clogged. Or last but not least oil pump is going bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
Odd, my 06 f-150 has a 5.4 is has a rattle and so did my 98 lol
Not sure what oil was put in? It was my mothers car, I'd have to ask!

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is rattle noise only happen first cold start ? or happen all time ? I bet that oil filter had everything do to this rattle noise, use only motorcraft FL820S oil filter and nothing else.

By the way, the car is sold as it ? you usually have nothing to do with this, as soon he drove off, its his problem, I know you aware of the problem, but if I was me, I told the buyer everything about the car, that will prevent he calling back for complaint.

Last edited:

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd, my 06 f-150 has a 5.4 is has a rattle and so did my 98 lol
Not sure what oil was put in? It was my mothers car, I'd have to ask!

You asked if they rattle I'm telling you they don't but you say they always do so why ask if you (think they all rattle). Mine never did i own 3 5.4 2 expys both 99 one with 203*** and one with 88*** and a work truck f150 with a 5.4 its a 06 230** and no rattle

OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
Did I say that ALL rattle? No, I didn't. I'm just saying they are notorious for ticking and rattling.
Now, back on subject.
I'm not sure what oil filter was put in, I'll check after work

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im curious as to what this rattle sounds/feels like...can anyone make a vid or explain the magnitude of the rattle? vibration rattle or audible rattle?

OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
It's never done this.
Just had it serviced 700-800 miles ago, still is on original plugs and what not ( amazing I know )
So maybe the put something wrong on or just messed up?