How many miles is too many for a 99+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles is too many? Looking to get into a 99+ 5.4 and curious at what mileage you wouldnt consider buying it.

Sent from my iPhone

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually stop at 200k.... but depends on how well taken care of also.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 98 with 200k on it and with the service and maintenance records he had I didn't hesitate for the $3000. I just changed the oil on it and the under side is a hell of a lot cleaner than my '02 Ram with half as many miles. It also runs 10x's better. The previous owner of my truck didn't do any regular maintenance and I'm paying for it now. It all depends on how it was taken car of I think. I purchased an '89 Jeep Cherokee from a coworker that had 300k on it and ran like a top. When I bought it he gave me the Chilton's manual and a 3 ring binder with all records since it was new. If you know nothing of the history my truck is showing me that it can really be going down hill at 100k. If you know nothing about it I would have it really checked out by someone I trust before dropping too much on it. Just my .02.

Victor

ToddL

Reaction score
I can't speak to the 99 model, but my 02 just turned 300K. Unfortunately it is time for a new engine and trans. I cannot complain one bit about this, I have gotten my money worth from this vehicle.

clok1966

Reaction score
gotta agree with the "how well was it taken care of" statement. Most new cars of any make should be able to make 200,000 with mild care. Tech, oil, etc has improved so much in the last 20 years or so. there is something to be aid about design.. in the past there where simple flaws but even many older designs could make extended miles. Chryslers 318, Gm's 3800, Fords 300 straight 6. Nowdays take a trip to www.car-parts.com (its all the junkyards in one database, handy for 2nd hand parts).. take a look at the engine you are wondring about (ford 5.4 highest legit one is 350,000, but many for sail with 250,000 ish...).. if you do a search you will see many with high miles (200,000+ even 300,000+) most junkyards tend to skip putting miles on over 200,000... but some do. PERSONALLY i have had a 88 GM3800 with ZERO internal work ( just plugs, ignition, oil, and maybe a water pump or two with 340,000 (and it still ran great but I moved on). A 97 Dodge 3.3 with 200,000 and its a daily driver right now (my toy hauler, i fly RC planes). My friend drives an older ford 4x4 f150 (sorry not sure on year, 92?) with the 300 6 and its got 290,000 something.

but there is the RUB.. buying used, how do you know how its been treated? Even good service records cant tell you the guy liked to drive in low lock at 75 MPH? Did he pull a 40 foot camper at 90MPH in the MT's? MOST people dont abuse stuff to hard, but we all see that idiot that leave his 10 foot driveway at 50MPH slams on the brakes, shift to forward from reverse before its stopped.. who cares if he fixes every thing.. he is abusing the crap out of his truck.

I live up by the ND oil boom and buy and sell cars/trucks from craigslist/ebay/local papers for fun and to try make a dime here ands there.. (sadly like gambleing you win big or lose big, and the losers are far more common). I always figure if I pick something up.. if i cant dump it in a week for a few hundred less (if its got problems I didnt see) i wont buy it. It has to be a good deal.. at least 30-40% less then KBB.. so many people Look at KKB like they can get that amount no matter what. its a GUIDE not a fact.

I have looked at alot of cars/truck with 200,000 that ran great, its a gamble.. but depending on what you pay.. it can work out.

98EXeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought my 98 with 175 on it and runs like a champ!

ecaps

Reaction score
I can't comment on the 5.4L specifically, but the '99 4.6L Expy I bought had 183,*** miles on it when I got it about a month ago. It leaks no oil and overall the rig appears to have been taken care fairly well.

I suppose it could blow up tomorrow or run for another 100K miles, but that's the gamble you take with a used vehicle. Look it over the best you can and don't make an "impulse" buy.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 5.4 and 4.6 2v engines are near bulletproof if maintained. They can go 300k easy and then many only need the timing chains and guides to keep going. the trans and driveline are generally pretty robust also. Like many have said if it was maintained[oil changes, coolant, trans and diff service...] and not beat then 200k is not a problem if you can fix things yourself or it is just a part time ride.

Last edited:

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my second post and really enjoying the site.I have a dealer in town with a 97 expy with 199k Eddie Bauer and it is very clean.Also has a 1998 with 214k and is just in great shape.He want $3999.00 for each one.If you cover the speedo and drove it,you would think it had half the miles on them.I have a hard time pulling the trigger on something with many miles.But I'm learning these expy's can last a long time.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my top buying anything used is 150k, no matter the records..ect. of course money dictates everything. but i buy as low mile as i can afford.

highest mile thing i own and is driven daily is my '98 explorer with 144k.

luckily my expedition only has 83k :)