How to 'convert' 2014 with standard towing package to have a factory heavy duty towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a good local trailer hitch shop. They can probably do all of the work, or knows who can for anything they don't do. Will cost you much less than dealer.
brick

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I have a 2007 (3rd generation) and the adapter I got was: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. As far as the brake controller there was an empty cable under the dash that I plugged the adapter into and then into the brake controller. The wire for the brake control was already present at the rear of the vehicle and I just had to hook it up to the 7-pin adapter (remove the spare tire to make things easier). I never bothered to hook up the 6th and 7th wires which were the constant 12V to charge the trailer battery or the reverse lights (I'm not worried about that with a 29ft travel trailer). In order to hook up the 12V power you need to add some relays to the relay/fuse box and maybe run a wire the length of the vehicle.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
I pulled a couple of dash panels off and found the brake controller connection behind the panel where the radio/environmental contols are. This is on a 2014 fyi. The 2013 and 2014s are a little different than earlier and later models. If I am correct about this, earlier models did not have the factory brake controller option and 2015 and later had a dash configuration change so that the brake controller would sit in a different location.

I've decided to just go aftermarket the whole way. If I'd only had to get the factory brake controller at $170, I would've done it, but the modified trim panel piece that goes around it (just a little piece of plastic) is $139! Ridiculous. The Teksonsha P3 is probably a better controller anyway.

Dont think i'm going to worry about the radiator and tranny cooler unless I get into heavier towing in summer, which is unlikely.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I tow a 6000lb (empty) travel trailer and I don't have the extended tow package and haven't had any issues.