I'm a little confused...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not very mechanically inclined so don't judge me on this question, hah..

I know we have coil over plugs but we also have spark plugs.

Is the spark plug part of the COP?

Meaning is it all one piece, or do I have to buy both separate?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coil and spark plugs are separate. COP is simple the coil over the plug design. Each spark plug has a coil sitting right on top of it. 8 spark plugs and 8 coils.

OP
OP
Explor2Exped

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coil and spark plugs are separate. COP is simple the coil over the plug design. Each spark plug has a coil sitting right on top of it. 8 spark plugs and 8 coils.

Thanks.

& I thought I could just replace all the cop's to tune it up, blahh..

At least spark plugs are cheap.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's up to you. If they are fairly new, then you should be good on replacing the COP's, but if they are getting old, it will be easier to replace them while you have them off then to do it again. The plug gap is easy, just get a feeler gauge and make sure the gap between the plug and electrode is what they tell you at the store.

After you remove the COP, make sure to use an air compressor or something to blow out the hole because there will be dirt and gravel inside the hole that you don't want to get inside your cylinder. Also make sure your socket is on the plug when removing it, and I like to start the plug in with just the socket and extension on before applying pressure with the ratchet to avoid stripping out the plug. And my first time doing the plugs took about 3 hours, so it isn't a super fast job, but better to take your time than rush through it.