Just Upgraded to a 2017 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EX-excursion

Reaction score
Most of the road noise comes from the fender well liners. I recently put molded mud flaps on mine. From what I could see under my '17 Expedition, the sound deadener there is actually very good. It is 'furry' for lack of a better term, and does a good job on noise. Covering that up with another coating might render that original protection less effective.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the road noise comes from the fender well liners. I recently put molded mud flaps on mine. From what I could see under my '17 Expedition, the sound deadener there is actually very good. It is 'furry' for lack of a better term, and does a good job on noise. Covering that up with another coating might render that original protection less effective.
I had that furry sound deadener in the rear wheel wells of my 09 Mercedes ML350 It worked pretty well. I don't know where they sprayed it. It has bee raining off and on today so I haven't had a chance to crawl under it to look. I'm sure they know what they are doing or the dealership wouldn't use them.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love the color...it's really not white but a metal flake pearl....I think it looks great but the problem is that if you are 10 or more feet away, it's hard to see the flake.
White looks good when it's clean but dingy when it isn't.

I have a 2 car garage but it's filled with my 2 seater car and a bunch of vintage bikes. Besides, even in a garage that would seem huge by today's standards, my Expy's have barely fit. So because I have a yard full of large oak trees and in the Spring, they rain pollen and other stuff, I've been looking at buying one of these to put where my BB court is, next to the main driveway. This will keep all that junk off my new paint.....they make several different types. Some have the galvanized ribs vertical but they run roughly + $400....so I may or may not pay the upcharge. 12x21-Regular-Carport-North-2.jpg

I'll bet that Black EL looks sharp as heck!

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,

I fly radio controlled airplanes. I have at least one that has a one piece 8' wing so this will allow me to carry it with out having to stick it through the front seats. I also haul a lot of stuff for me and for family so I wanted the extra room.

. :)

Hey Andy,

You fly Gliders or Gassers? I learned to fly gas many years ago at a local club at Ft Meade MD. I flew for a few years then kind of lost interest. I still have my original "Eaglet" that has been re-kitted and re-assembled a half dozen times but it would still fly. The Eagle which I really should have bought as a trainer since it was so forgiving. I got pretty good with it but as you know, they are both very easy planes. I was off work after one of my ACL recon jobs on my knee and I assembled a beautiful Cannard imported from Italy in a kit. Beautiful plane. I fitted a .6 Super tiger but never did fly it....too pretty to wreck!

Good for you for keeping the sport alive though!

I have nice Factory Alum wheels on my SLK but they got dirty so fast. I eventually learned that with ceramic pads, the crud was minimized but when I saw these "tarnish" wheels, I REALLY liked them!

FWIW, in the "How to" section, I posted a couple of corrections to your manual....the low beam bulbs and the rear wiper spec are both wrong.

I agree that the raised white letters will give your truck a nice look. I had briefly looked at installing rear wheel spacers until I spent a whole 5 minutes and learned enough in 5 minutes to keep me from ever doing it<LOL>.

I know a lot of guys like customising their cars/trucks and each to his/her own but for me personally, they are mostly just transportation. I did a couple of mods to to my car to add a 30-40 more HP but to me, it's a fun roadster to drive and it's been bulletproof so why mess with it? I see my truck the same way. I did replace the halogen projectors with LED's and LOVE the difference!

The new truck of course is worlds nicer than my old 03EB even though it's in very nice shape inside. It's still sitting in my driveway so I need to make a decision to get rid of it soon.

Post up the pics when you mount the new tires, I'd like to see how they look.

jeff

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Andy,

You fly Gliders or Gassers? I learned to fly gas many years ago at a local club at Ft Meade MD. I flew for a few years then kind of lost interest. I still have my original "Eaglet" that has been re-kitted and re-assembled a half dozen times but it would still fly. The Eagle which I really should have bought as a trainer since it was so forgiving. I got pretty good with it but as you know, they are both very easy planes. I was off work after one of my ACL recon jobs on my knee and I assembled a beautiful Cannard imported from Italy in a kit. Beautiful plane. I fitted a .6 Super tiger but never did fly it....too pretty to wreck!

Good for you for keeping the sport alive though!
jeff

I started flying in 1972 when I was 14 I flew for about 5 years then took 20 years off. When we moved to Oklahoma a neighbor down the street found out I had airplanes and he got me started again. I fly gas, glow, and electric. My passion is scale and I have a Cessna 182 with a 95" wing span that I need to put together. I also have a 120" wing span Cessna 182 that is a kit that had been reluctant to start because I had no way to transport it to the field. Now I have the vehicle that can haul it. I also have a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup (Scout) WWI biplane that has a 90" wing span and it stands about 40" high when it on it's wheels.

Does your rear wiper pivot and pull the blade off the window? My old Expedition did this but the new one does have the pivoting arm. It seems weird to me almost like it's the wrong part. I just replaced the wiper arm, blade and transmission for my old 05 back in January and that arm pivoted. I did the wiper arm upgrade.

I agree I mainly see my vehicles as transportation too. I did upgrade the wheels on the old Expedition to the 20" wheels because I thought it rode better with shorter stiffer sidewalls. There is nothing that I would change on my new Expedition (except the tires).:rolleyes: I really like the silver wheels that came on mine.

I got the new tires put on yesterday and the takeoffs up on Craig's list. Here are some pictures.

IMG_5213.JPG IMG_5214.JPG IMG_5216.JPG IMG_5218.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Andy what a hell of an upgrade, and my favorite color too! congrats man.

Thanks Habbibie! First new vehicle since December of 2008 and that was a lease that we turned back in in 2011. My old Expedition was 8 years old when we bought it. We kept it for 3-1/2 years and put over $8,000 into it over that time and put 28,000 miles on it. It was a great vehicle.

I really love my new Expedition. I've run it through the carwash twice so far - yesterday and today (it rained a little yesterday and a little fog today. White is going to be a pain the @ss to keep clean. :) I have a monthly carwash plan and I can run it through as many days or times in a row that I want.
:banana-mario:

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where did you get your molded mud flaps?