Lift and tires. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on my 05. When on the highway I had to have the radio up to 9 to hear it over the tire noise. When I switched to the Firestone Destination ATs I was able to have the radio at 5 and hear it just fine on the highway. When we bought the 17 with the Hankook tires I had to have the radio at 7 to hear it over the tire noise. Now with the Firestones I can set the radio at 5 at 70 and still hear it no problem. On those long 8 hour trips it's noticeably quieter.

Firestone Destination AT

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

Hankooks - take offs noisy and similar tread pattern to the Cooper LTZ

IMG_5349.JPG

Cooper Zeons Old tires on my 05 - very noisy

$(KGrHqYOKpMFIJgoF-ulBSHjRzm81!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqFHJDkFIYvh13qmBSHjSBq-Cw~~60_3.JPG

OP
OP
F

Floyd

Reaction score

GrayStone

Reaction score
IMAG1486.jpg IMAG1485.jpg IMAG1486.jpg IMAG1485.jpg
BFGoodrich KO2 all terrain tires are one of the best off road tires on the market and the most quite tire I've owned. At all speeds on the pavement, this tire is quiet no need to turn up the radio.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I stepped up from Firestone Destination AT's to Kumho Road Venture AT51 truck version (10 ply rated) and happy with deeper tread ... until it wears away at least. Wanted 10 ply for sidewall toughness (not load) & 15/32 tread depth. Then I saw an EXPY that was raised up somehow (washers?) and bigger diameter tires deep tread and was jealous. Driving consists of around town, interstate highway, lots of snow in Rockies (winter), and some back rutted whatever roads in summer where I don't want a flat w/max ground clearance. This thread might be able to help me. VERY disappointed to find out last winter that the EXPY cannot be outfitted with chains! That would be a good option in winter mountain roads. I think I want the honker tires like K02's and bigger diameter wheels and raised up suspension but its all new to me and I don't even know if there is a store I can go to.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stepped up from Firestone Destination AT's to Kumho Road Venture AT51 truck version (10 ply rated) and happy with deeper tread ... until it wears away at least. Wanted 10 ply for sidewall toughness (not load) & 15/32 tread depth. Then I saw an EXPY that was raised up somehow (washers?) and bigger diameter tires deep tread and was jealous. Driving consists of around town, interstate highway, lots of snow in Rockies (winter), and some back rutted whatever roads in summer where I don't want a flat w/max ground clearance. This thread might be able to help me. VERY disappointed to find out last winter that the EXPY cannot be outfitted with chains! That would be a good option in winter mountain roads. I think I want the honker tires like K02's and bigger diameter wheels and raised up suspension but its all new to me and I don't even know if there is a store I can go to.
Why can't you throw chains on an Expedition? (Not that I need to but just curious)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I want the honker tires like K02's and bigger diameter wheels and raised up suspension but its all new to me and I don't even know if there is a store I can go to.

Other way round... KO2s arent bigger wheels, theyre SMALLER wheels / larger tires.

People commonly have 70 profiles on 17 inch wheels for allterrainy tires...

and 55 or so profile 20" for passenger tires stuff afair

As to the lift thing... yeah the basic ones pretty much ARE "washers" (lol) , engineering wise at least....its a strut spacer, google lift kit for info

Plati

Reaction score
Other way round... KO2s arent bigger wheels, theyre SMALLER wheels / larger tires.

People commonly have 70 profiles on 17 inch wheels for allterrainy tires...

and 55 or so profile 20" for passenger tires stuff afair

As to the lift thing... yeah the basic ones pretty much ARE "washers" (lol) , engineering wise at least....its a strut spacer, google lift kit for info
Since I spend so many miles going 80+ on interstates out west ... with time to think about things like this (and I'm a bit risk aversive) ... vehicles are so highly engineered these days ... if you start running non-stock tire sizes and adding suspension modifications ... are they still going to perform correctly in an emergency driving situation and in a slide in rain etc. Especially with the stability controls and other modern vehicle features. I might put tires on that are good at low speeds in rutted back country roads and get into trouble on highway at speed in an extreme braking turning situation?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I spend so many miles going 80+ on interstates out west ... with time to think about things like this (and I'm a bit risk aversive) ... vehicles are so highly engineered these days ... if you start running non-stock tire sizes and adding suspension modifications ... are they still going to perform correctly in an emergency driving situation and in a slide in rain etc. Especially with the stability controls and other modern vehicle features. I might put tires on that are good at low speeds in rutted back country roads and get into trouble on highway at speed in an extreme braking turning situation?
Good questions Polarizer. On the tire question, if you are using modern off road tires that you can buy at any tire store you will not have a problem, gas mileage may suffer if you go bigger and it is true that some tires have better stopping power in wet and/or slick pavement, but I still don't see a major problem.

To the question about lifts, I have similar questions myself. I would like to put a 2" lift kit on mine to sit a little higher but I have also wonder about handling and emergency situations. Most of the guys say that they don't notice any difference in handling or gas mileage but I also wonder what happens if you are sliding sideways on the ice. Will it be as stable or will it have more of a tendency to roll over. Of course I realize they are high profile vehicles to begin with and might already be considered top heavy but I find it fairly stable.