Lift and tires. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had those Firestones on my previous Explorer, loved them.

I would put them on my current truck but I have a line on another tire at a super price so I am going that route if it works out

and I also agree with the handling comments on the lifts. Might be just fine but not for me

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had those Firestones on my previous Explorer, loved them.

I would put them on my current truck but I have a line on another tire at a super price so I am going that route if it works out

and I also agree with the handling comments on the lifts. Might be just fine but not for me
I spend 99.5% of the time on paved roads so it was important to me to select tires that were quiet on the highway. That's what I like about the Firestone Destination AT tires. They have lots of grip in the snow and they are quiet on the highway. They had a great rating on Tire Rack.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh they are really good in the snow. I have a cabin in Northern Michigan and its really hilly there and never had a problem getting through the deep stuff when going snowmobiling

Plati

Reaction score
Why can't you throw chains on an Expedition? (Not that I need to but just curious)
OK ... I may be misinformed or confused (not unusual). 2014 Owners Manual (page 319) says "use only chains or cable type offered by Ford as an accessory ...". I went to 2 dealers, one in NYS & one in Salt Lake City. Was told Ford does not offer these for sale, does not recommend using aftermarket. Potential interference/damage with some sensors. WTF? If you can get chains or cable type I want that option for driving through mountain passes (or Tug Hill) !!!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's blowing smoke up your butt. Car manufacturers will never "recommend" something not manufactured by them.

And when they tell you that, it doens't mean it'll screw up your car. It means "order it from me so I can make a buck". I'd go back and play the straight man to his response.

Question #1: "Really? Which sensors?"
Question #2: "How does Fords' product not cause the same damage or interference?"
Question #3: "If I buy Fords' chains and they damage my car, is that covered under warranty?"

A properly installed, quality tire chain will not damage or interfere with your "sensors". If they are too slack, you can start slapping your fenders with them, but that would be your fault, right?

Gus Fuller

Reaction score
Hi, OP and forum!

I am new posting, but I have been checking the forum out for various reasons over the last 2+ months/3500 miles since I bought my used 2016 XLT EL with tow package, nav. leather... Lots of good information to be found in these forums and lots of people willing to help.

As to your question, I recently had installed the ReadyLift 3/2 (part 69-2070) that was posted earlier with some aftermarket wheels and ~35 inch tires. My setup includes:

ReadyLift 69-2070
Yokohama Geolandar G015 - 285/75-18
XD Series XD820 Grenade 18"

After about 1000 miles on the setup...

Everything fits great, with only a slight rub at 3/4+ turn on the steering wheel. I bought my truck used and the alignment was already off, but you will most likely need a 4 wheel alignment after the install. Mine drove great afterward.

The strut spacers make the suspension feel a little stiffer, but I don't have a problem with that... it handles just fine.

The larger tires slightly affect the acceleration, but once the truck gets going, it's smooth sailing. MPG did take a significant hit, though, dropping about 15% for me (~16.5 down to ~14, good mix of city/hwy, but also lots of idling). Road noise is non-existent as of now, but many things I have read indicate that all A/T tires will start to get at least a little noisy as you approach half-tread life.

Speedometer doesn't seem to be affected as much as I thought... a ~10% increase in tire circumference should mean a ~10% increase in actual speed as compared to what you see on the speedo, but I have seen only about a 6-7% increase.

I am on paved roads 95% of the year (3 or 4 days, 5 or 6 times a year, either in the snow or in the woods). I justify my setup to "the boss" by that 5%. I really just like the look of it...

I will post some pics later this evening. Stay tuned.

edit:
The wheels are not compatible with stock lug nuts. I had to purchase slim 19 mm lug nuts to mount the wheels on the truck.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, OP and forum!

I am new posting, but I have been checking the forum out for various reasons over the last 2+ months/3500 miles since I bought my used 2016 XLT EL with tow package, nav. leather... Lots of good information to be found in these forums and lots of people willing to help.

As to your question, I recently had installed the ReadyLift 3/2 (part 69-2070) that was posted earlier with some aftermarket wheels and ~35 inch tires. My setup includes:

ReadyLift 69-2070
Yokohama Geolandar G015 - 285/75-18
XD Series XD820 Grenade 18"

After about 1000 miles on the setup...

Everything fits great, with only a slight rub at 3/4+ turn on the steering wheel. I bought my truck used and the alignment was already off, but you will most likely need a 4 wheel alignment after the install. Mine drove great afterward.

The strut spacers make the suspension feel a little stiffer, but I don't have a problem with that... it handles just fine.

The larger tires slightly affect the acceleration, but once the truck gets going, it's smooth sailing. MPG did take a significant hit, though, dropping about 15% for me (~16.5 down to ~14, good mix of city/hwy, but also lots of idling). Road noise is non-existent as of now, but many things I have read indicate that all A/T tires will start to get at least a little noisy as you approach half-tread life.

Speedometer doesn't seem to be affected as much as I thought... a ~10% increase in tire circumference should mean a ~10% increase in actual speed as compared to what you see on the speedo, but I have seen only about a 6-7% increase.

I am on paved roads 95% of the year (3 or 4 days, 5 or 6 times a year, either in the snow or in the woods). I justify my setup to "the boss" by that 5%. I really just like the look of it...

I will post some pics later this evening. Stay tuned.

edit:
The wheels are not compatible with stock lug nuts. I had to purchase slim 19 mm lug nuts to mount the wheels on the truck.
Welcome to the forum Gus. Do you have any pictures you can post so we can see your truck?

The slim 19 mm lug nuts concerns me. I don't understand why you would go smaller on lug nuts.

Penumbra

Reaction score
I haven't done a lift and not sure I will yet but King shocks is the way to go from my research...not a spacer. I spoke with several of the top lift companies and was directed to King shocks to custom build one offs...will run 1000-1500$ per shock. This is what I'll do when I decide if I'm going to get the 2018 this fall or not.

The spacer lift diminishes handling of your vehicle if your concerned about the freeway and quick maneuvering to avoid an accident and high speed turns/ramps. The proper lift is with a coil over shock custom fit to give you the rise you're looking for. The expy has a 3" max before you have to start modifying. There is a post where someone lifted it beyond. He just pumped up his air shocks to achieve rear high...which again...is reducing the shocks effectiveness.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f40/...pedition-navigator-rear-air-suspension-29127/

Hellwig has stabilizers to improve your lateral handling. Many sites sell them.

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/lookup/index.php?action=category&Model=Expedition&Year=2016&Make=Ford

As far as tires go my expy came with the Hankook Dynapro a/t-M 275/55/20's and they were pretty good all around...freeway at high speeds, heavy rain, snow, mud/rock. They do look a tad more aggressive than the other stock tires but if you're going to buy new tires there are other options to look more aggressive and actually perform.

Comes down to your needs and preference on tread design. I'm a contractor and travel all over the country towing a trailer. I'm in all kinds of weather from torrential rain, snowstorms, icy roads and very rough muddy job sites.

There are numerous options and I went with Toyo Open Country C/T b/c it's the highest rated extreme winter A/T LT 10-ply tire out there. Also I increased the tire size to 285/60/20 which goes from a 31.9" diameter to 33.4" and 3/8" wider with no lift. Vast improvement over the 4-ply Hankooks.

Discount tire actually screwed up my order and put on the Toyo Open Country A/T's. I'm having them swapped today for the C/T's. The difference is the C/T's are a commercial grade LT, are higher rated for extreme winter and are studdable.

Here's pics if the Toyo Open Country T/A's. I'll add pics of the C/T's later.
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3915.JPG

Last edited:

Penumbra

Reaction score
IMG_3936.JPG IMG_3937.JPG IMG_3938.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3940.JPG Ok swap done. After now driving on the Toyo Open Country A/Tii Extreme's for 400 miles then to the C/T's here's my impression.

The C/T's are:

1. a few decibels quieter but still louder than the Hankooks which gives it more of a "truck" feel which I don't mind.

2. smoother and slightly more responsive at higher speeds. The A/Tii's swam a tad bit at excessive speeds.

Not to say the A/Tii's are a poor tire b/c I feel they handled great and drove very well at high speeds in the rain.

I also prefer the lug design on the C/T with its 2-lug center vs. 3.

Last edited:

Gus Fuller

Reaction score
20170915_145543.jpg 20170915_145519.jpg 20170915_145509.jpg 20170915_145500.jpg 20170915_145444.jpg Sorry for the late reply. Work had me in early and out late for the last few days, so I wasn't able to take any pics.

To answer the question about smaller lug nuts, the stock lugs don't fit in the wheel... The stock lugs are a little too wide. I went from using 21mm socket nut to a 19mm. The shape is the same as OEM, just made to fit the wheel. The tire shop that did my tires said it wouldn't be a problem... I don't know enough to disagree.