Lightning Supercharger Swap in an '04 Expy write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As my first post here,I want to thank you for taking the time to do this write up.
For roughly 3-4 months,I've been reading it over & over while I compile all the pieces to do the swap on my 04 Expedition. That time has come :) This thread is going to be a great help. I do have afew questions,Im hoping you may be able to shed some light on.

- I've noticed that we have a 6 rib serpentine setup,while the F150's & Lightnings have 8 rib pulleys for their accessories...more than likely why we have that extra idler on the drivers side,just a guess.
From looking over my truck & the best photos I can find of lightning & F150 timing covers,im thinking I can remove that pulley where the bridge would mount,and simply run the proper length 6 rib belt,which would be alittle shorter. The span from the alternator to the power steering pump would be identical to the F150's,lengthwise...only difference being that I would be a 6rib vs their 8rib eight setup.

Is my thinking wrong on this? Im trying to prepare as much as possible for the least amount of down time. least amount of surprises.
I was also curious, if there were any belt alignment issue with mounting the blower pulley on the 6 rib dampner? Im assuming that bolted right up w/no alignment issues? And when you purchased your lightning alternator,did yours come with a 8 rib pulley & you swaped your 6rib on? are the threads counter clockwise on the alternators,if you happen to know?

Sorry for so many questions. Not many folks have tackled this job & documented online like this,so I knew where to ask when the time came :)

Mike

Mike...sent you a PM

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time for another update. After spending entirely too much money on breather filters, I decided to go back to the oil separator. I spoke with Vince at L&S regarding oil being sucked into the intake from the driver side valve cover when the separator was hooked up before. Vince instructed me to hook the separator up per the instructions with one exception. He told me to remove the PCV valve.

It has been several weeks since doing this and so far....NO OIL IN THE INTAKE!!! Will continue to monitor and update periodically.

On a side note, EXPYFAN is in the process of putting together his 04 supercharged Expy. Can't wait to see the pics! Hurry up Mike!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Time for another update. After spending entirely too much money on breather filters, I decided to go back to the oil separator. I spoke with Vince at L&S regarding oil being sucked into the intake from the driver side valve cover when the separator was hooked up before. Vince instructed me to hook the separator up per the instructions with one exception. He told me to remove the PCV valve.

It has been several weeks since doing this and so far....NO OIL IN THE INTAKE!!! Will continue to monitor and update periodically.

On a side note, EXPYFAN is in the process of putting together his 04 supercharged Expy. Can't wait to see the pics! Hurry up Mike!!

Hmmm... I would think it would run as if it had a large vacuum leak except it would be metered air as it would pull vacuum through the block via the hose on the drivers side. Since it is metered air the only potential issue I see would be the additional air allowed past the throttle plates. Does it idle ok??

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its funny you should mention "idle" Tom. I haven't had a single issue with the idle on the Expy since doing this mod.

With that said, I added the oil separator back on the F150 (did EXACTLY the same as the Expy) and now I do have a slightly elevated idle...maybe 300-400 RPM. The IAC on the F150 is old...could just be coincidence. Have another IAC laying around I will use to verify.

Assuming the IAC is fine, why would the truck idle high and the Expy idle perfectly with the same setup?

rca510

Full Access Members
Reaction score
now that i have seen that someone has tried a lightning swap/sc on a 03 and up expi i am going to look into gathering parts for my swap...maybe after i finish with my mustang swap...i just have to get more info on the swap so i might hit you up with dumb questions here and there if thats koo with you...and nice write up

rca510

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just one quick question. wat did you do with your exhaust because i thought of doing a costume one for mine but not sure if i can make it duel and still keep the spare tire

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can...just have to go under the IRS and turn them out behind wheels or straight out...you can even go with a smaller diameter pipe to go through the IRS...both have been done by ppl on here

rca510

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah but i have to get pics so i can show the shops around my area because they say it cant be duel exhaust. but i want to make it a true duel like the 96 to 00 explorers

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah but i have to get pics so i can show the shops around my area because they say it cant be duel exhaust. but i want to make it a true duel like the 96 to 00 explorers

A lot of shops don't like doing dual setups if it involves relocating a spare tire, or routing the exhaust in an unconventional way. If you find a shop that specializes in high performance exhausts I'm sure they will figure out a way to do it. I ran into the same problem with my Explorers over the years; no one wants to do duals because I'd have to ditch my spare tire.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look up knautical2001...he posted pics of his dual setup that runs under the IRS...thats what im going to do...