Lightning Supercharger Swap in an '04 Expy write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish! Not too many options with the 3v though...

Sent from space using taptalk

Which is exactly why when I started looking for an Expo/Navi and stumbled accross these forums I immediately switched from looking for 3V models and Navigators to only 03/04 Expos. The aftermarket for the Lightning is well established and I've seen what even a stock bottom end motor can do firsthand. And the 03/04s are substantially cheaper too...

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Separator update...

After noticing oil getting into the intake from where the PCV/oil separator hooks up and especially from the intake tube (from driver's side valve cover), we decided to do a PCV delete and just add breather filters to both valve covers.

We've been running this setup for the last month on both vehicles and so far, haven't had any issues. Will continue to run this for awhile and see what happens.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It should run fine but your more likely to get more contaminants in the oil. All of the blowby from the rings will settle into the oil instead of being sucked out as a gas into the intake.....along with the oil of course. :) Check your oil and maybe change more often.

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trans Cooler update...

After we mounted the heat exchanger behind the bumper, we noticed the tranny temps getting a little high (usually hanging between 200 and 210 degrees). I'm guessing air was not moving across the factory aux tranny cooler like it should. Doing a little research, we found that several of the Lightning owners were using a tranny cooler from an F250 that mounts higher up and in front of the A/C condenser. Two benefits here: (1) there is a ton more surface area and (2) it gets plenty of airflow due to its location and by the e-fans sucking air across it. Wife is taking a trip on Friday so I'll post updated temps then. But from the little bit of driving around town, she says it hovers around 180. I can deal with that.

While I didn't take pics of the trans cooler install, here is the link to the write up I used. It has a bunch of pics and a detailed parts list. I used all the parts listed (minus the aux filter) and all worked out well.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5004

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should run fine but your more likely to get more contaminants in the oil. All of the blowby from the rings will settle into the oil instead of being sucked out as a gas into the intake.....along with the oil of course. :) Check your oil and maybe change more often.

Thanks for the info Tom. We'll definitely keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay...been running the supercharger for almost a year now and have had ZERO issues. Expy currently has 101,000 miles on it...13,000 of that is with the supercharger.

Just wanted to pass along the update.:head3:

OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a pic of our gauge setup. We bought a 2-gauge pod for a Nissian Frontier from www.gaugepods.com

iPhone Pic  (451).jpg

Obviously we added a boost gauge and decided to also add a tranny temp gauge to make sure it stayed nice and cool.

Last edited:

EXPYFAN

Reaction score
As my first post here,I want to thank you for taking the time to do this write up.
For roughly 3-4 months,I've been reading it over & over while I compile all the pieces to do the swap on my 04 Expedition. That time has come :) This thread is going to be a great help. I do have afew questions,Im hoping you may be able to shed some light on.

- I've noticed that we have a 6 rib serpentine setup,while the F150's & Lightnings have 8 rib pulleys for their accessories...more than likely why we have that extra idler on the drivers side,just a guess.
From looking over my truck & the best photos I can find of lightning & F150 timing covers,im thinking I can remove that pulley where the bridge would mount,and simply run the proper length 6 rib belt,which would be alittle shorter. The span from the alternator to the power steering pump would be identical to the F150's,lengthwise...only difference being that I would be a 6rib vs their 8rib eight setup.

Is my thinking wrong on this? Im trying to prepare as much as possible for the least amount of down time. least amount of surprises.
I was also curious, if there were any belt alignment issue with mounting the blower pulley on the 6 rib dampner? Im assuming that bolted right up w/no alignment issues? And when you purchased your lightning alternator,did yours come with a 8 rib pulley & you swaped your 6rib on? are the threads counter clockwise on the alternators,if you happen to know?

Sorry for so many questions. Not many folks have tackled this job & documented online like this,so I knew where to ask when the time came :)

Mike