Might Trade the expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted a 7.3 myself. Unfortunately, too many I saw were lifted or they wanted way more than book. Settled on an '11 EL that I love. It's a little shorter in length and I believe ground clearance. But the ride is great and it tows my travel trailer well.

To value your current truck - go to kbb.com and NADA.com and check it out. My 1999 I sold went for $3K to a friend of mine. Probably could have gotten closer to $4K with it's 170K miles, but wanted a quick sale.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Excursion is based on the 250/350 super duty as compared to the Expedition being based on the F150.

I too would absolutely love an Excursion with the 7.3. Had one for a few years when I worked as a tradesman and firmly believe it is the best diesel made ever/yet...

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Excursion is based on the 250/350 super duty as compared to the Expedition being based on the F150.

I too would absolutely love an Excursion with the 7.3. Had one for a few years when I worked as a tradesman and firmly believe it is the best diesel made ever/yet...

yes the excursion is a super duty based truck. it actually sits on a modified f-250 regular cab 137" wheel base frame. the changes are mostly in the rear for the 44 gallon fuel tank and third row seating/cargo area.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
44 gallons... that is crazy. Alaskan have you ever had problems with the front suspension in the excursion starting to wobble a lot at speed? I had a buddy who said his old F250 would get this bad wobble if he hit a bump just right doing highway speed.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
44 gallons... that is crazy. Alaskan have you ever had problems with the front suspension in the excursion starting to wobble a lot at speed? I had a buddy who said his old F250 would get this bad wobble if he hit a bump just right doing highway speed.

like death wobble? no, you dont hear of it much with leaf spring trucks(all 4x4 excursions use leaf springs all around) the 05-up super dutys have had issues with this in the past. i dont know anyone personally that has had the issue.

all i've had to do is ball joints in my old 2004 excursion. prolly should do them soon on my 2002 but they arnt bad yet (knock on wood)

i run mine way to fast very often, smooth as butter at 100+

the 44 gallon tank is AWESOME! even at 8 mpg i can go 340+ miles. but at 14.5 mpg i can get over 600 miles on one tank.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google Ford death wobble. It's enough to make your a$$ pucker. I had an 05 F550 wrecker that developed that problem. I had to replace the front track bar. According to the dealer, there is a design flaw and certain vibrations cause frequences and the suspension can not recover without bringing the vehicle to a stop. Here's the catch 22. Braking can actualy make the shaking WORSE. The best way to get it to stop is take your foot of the throtle and let it coast.